Chapter 6- Expect the Unexpected

Lindsey's POV

It's called playing dead. Technically, I should be dead, you're right. Though, surprise, surprise; I'm alive. How? You might ask. Well, let's go back to about 50 seconds ago.

I wasn't able to grab my violin before the soldier shot me in the chest, but I did manage to rest my hand on my bow. Shocking, right? You might expect that resting my hand did nothing but a little difference can change everything. By resting my hand on my bow, I saved my life.

The bow gave me a surge of energy that protected my chess, partially. That bullet did it my skin, it did draw blood, there is a pile of blood on the floor but I'm alive.

I went silent when the soldier shot me because I wanted to make it seem like I was dead so the soldier wouldn't fire another bullet.

My chest, it aches so badly. Imagine being skinned alive then being dropped in boiling hot acid; that's how I feel right now.

"Lindsey, stay strong. Your not dead. Your not going to die. Sure, it might feel like you are but let me assure you, your not. The pain will stay for awhile but it will eventually vanish. Stay strong and don't go unconscious. Your not dead. Your not dead. Your surely alive..." My conscious kept repeating over and over in my head.

My hearing perked up voices coming from the soldiers. The lead soldier repeated, once again, " Is she d-dead?" I can't believe he has joy in his voice. I know he wants me dead but seriously? You have to put joy in that question? Also, no smart one, I'm not dead. You can't get rid of me that easily.

"Sir, by the looks of it, I can infer that the dancing violinist is dead. Although, I would gladly check for you to make sure," one of the soldiers suggested.

"Yes, please do that," the lead soldier replied back.

I heard a soldier's foot steps inch towards me each second causing me to hold my breath; I don't want them to catch me. The soldier came up to me a kicked me hard in the back. I held in the yelp of pain that was begging to come out of my mouth.

"Alright, It's official; she's dead," the soldier confirmed with the lead soldier. I began to breath again, taking only short breaths.

Suddenly, I felt cold hands pick me up and throw me into a sack. I open my eyes a bit and see that the bad is a potato sack made out of burlap. I can still breath in here.

"The leader wants Stirling either dead or alive. We will bring her to the complex and the leader will decide what to do with her dead body," the soldier chirped gleefully.

Back the track, hold up. What to do with my dead body?! I'm not dead though! Oh no. This is not going to turn out well. The worst they can do is put me in a grave, right? No, Lindsey. You can't lie to yourself. I'm not going to worry about this yet. I'm not even in the complex yet.

Trying to get my brain off of entering the complex, I noticed that I was dehydrated. This is definitely taking a toll on my overall health. My head is killing me, I can't think straight, my eyes won't focus properly, and I'm very sleepy. I could fall asleep right now...

Ow! I jolted up from my 5 minute nap from being thrown into the back of a van or another type of vehicle. Can't people be more gentle?

The blood on my stomach is starting to dry up. I don't think it is infected, I'm going to be fine. Using the best of my ability to hear, I hear the soldiers murmuring to each-other.

"What do you think he is going to do with her body?"

"Do you think the leader will be pleased with us?"

"I'm so glad this dancing violinist dilemma is over."

"Wow, finally. She's dead. This is such a relief."

Gosh, people are so nice.

The van stopped.

Why did it stop?

I immediately stopped breathing as two rough hands dragged me out of the van and slammed me onto the ground. This would be a great time to have some Advil right about now. I can't, though. All medicine is strictly prohibited to all citizens. Only soldiers and people who are friends with the leader an allowed to have it. Otherwise, if you a town folk and you get sick, you die. Yup, no other explanation. The soldiers don't care.

All the musicians family members and close friends are locked up in dungeons under the complex. They only get enough food and water to survive.

If I make it through this situation; things are going to change around this place. Major things, major things indeed. Everyone will be equal and get the same amount of everything. It's not fair for good people to live like this. I don't like it.

A metal clank echoed throughout the air. I looked out of the bag and noticed a metal gate fell to the ground; it was being opened.

Uh oh.

We're here.

We have entered the complex.