𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲 𝐫𝐮𝐧

DARK WAS THE NIGHT
8x9

Charlotte sits beside Meredith in the rig, wearing her Seattle Grace Mercy West jacket. Alex sits in front of the bed they had set up from the Nicu. All three sat in silence. No one wanted to be there anymore than the others.

"It's probably a mistake. You know, courts—" Alex shook his head. "they screw up all the time. You call 'em in the morning—"

"It's over, Alex," Meredith snapped. "It's been over for a while. Everyone knew it. No one wants to say it."

Alex situated his jaw, "So get— get a surrogate or whatever. You can't just write off having a family like that. Get Charlotte— or Yang to carry a kid for you— she gets knocked up at the drop of a—"

"If you don't shut up in the next three seconds, I'm gonna shove you of the back of the rig," Meredith threatened.

"I'll help," Charlotte volunteered, blankly staring at the ambulance wall.

When they arrive at the hospital Meredith and Alex push the bed and everything they'll need on the stretcher. Charlotte follows behind

"Hey," Charlotte said so Alex didn't fall. "We're here to pick up a baby— take her to Seattle Grace."

"You're, uh, you're looking for me," A doctor came around the main nurses station. "I'm Jordan Wagner. I am really glad to see you guys."

"Yeah," Alex stuck his hand out. "I'm Alex Karev. Meredith Grey. Charlotte Brown."

"Okay," Dr. Wagner nodded with a shocked expression. "Li— uh, listen, she was born six hours ago, right away, trouble breathing. Stomach looked distended, so we put down an N.G. tube. But the x-ray showed that it was just coiling in her chest," The four doctors entered the hospital room. "We've done everything we can to keep her breathing, but it's been a struggle."

"You don't have a neonatal mask?" Alex questions.

"We're not set up for neonatal or O.B.," The man shook his head. "Thi— she was an emergency delivery, otherwise, we would've sent her to the hospital in Leavenworth."

"Pulse ox is seventy-nine," Charlotte observed.

"Respiratory rate is eighty," Meredith added. "She's got retractions."

"How come she's not intubated?" Alex's face displayed concern.

"The smallest tube we had didn't fit," The doctor says. "Please tell me that you brought a neonatal tube."

"We're gonna need x-ray in here for a post-intubation film," Alex said as he looked through the bag.

"This I.V's no good," Charlotte looked between Meredith and Alex with concerned eyes.

"Yeah," Alex agreed. "You don't even have a neonatal central line kit?"

"No," The man clenched his jaw.

"I.O needle?" Meredith looked up.

"No," The man looked down after a pause.

Charlotte scoffed quietly, with semi wide eyes. The three look at each other as they search for what they need to save this baby.

❄️

Alex stepped away, calling Arizona. All three residents had shedded their coats, just in their light blue scrubs.

"How's it going?" Arizona asked through the phone.

"The kids septic. She's got pneumonia," Alex held the phone to his ear.