𝐱𝐯𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

"So the surgeons at Seattle Pres left a length of cystic duct inside of you when they operated," Charlotte informed Louise.

Meredith, Charlotte and Bailey had done an exploratory surgery and discovered the stones.

"That's what's causing your problems," Meredith added.

"So we're gonna get that out. Do you have any questions?" Charlotte asked softly.

"I saw a ring," Louise said, Charlotte tensing up a tiny bit, sending a look at Meredith, who just chuckled.

"Huh?" Charlotte said with fake confusion.

She'd have to play this out herself, then.

"On Callie's finger when we ran into her earlier," The woman recalled. "Did she get remarried?"

"She did," Charlotte nodded, grinning. "A few months ago, actually."

"Aw, oh, good," Mrs. O'malley smiled back. "Do you think— is she happy? Oh, I hope she's happy."

"She seems happy," Charlotte tried to get the conversation over with—not wanting discuss that it was with a woman. "Do you have any questions about your surgery?"

"I raised a bunch of boys," Louise smiled again. One of Charlotte's favorite things was that she was almost always smiling. "It was nice to finally have a daughter. I miss her, all of you, really," She looked at Meredith. "George's friends. Oh, you both were so important to him, to me. Well, you two are doing exactly what George would be doing— being in charge. Oh, you'll both be doing my surgery, won't you? All by yourselves."

"If you're uncomfortable, we—" Meredith spoke for Charlotte. The brunette unsure about using her voice.

"Oh, no. no, don't be silly. George said you two were the best," Louise's eyebrows drew together, grabbing Meredith's hand.

"I'm comfortable," Meredith looked at Charlotte.

"I am absolutely comfortable," Charlotte breathed out.

"I'm more than comfortable. I'm— I'm ready, Let's— let's do this. Let's cut me open," The woman joked, squeezing the dirty blondes hand.

"I'm gonna need the hand back for the surgery," Meredith told her.

"Oh, yeah," Louise let go, apologizing as she did so.

Meredith walks out of the room first and Charlotte follows the woman as she walks towards the nurses station with Louise's chart.

"Is it bad that I'm nervous?" Charlotte asked—she was usually always nervous but she was more nervous this time, the patient being her best friends mother.

"Of course not, how do you think I feel?" Meredith's head drew back for a second with wide eyes before she looked back down at the chart.

"Yeah," Charlotte chuckled sarcastically.

"Have you talked to April?" Meredith asked without looking up.

Charlotte paused, "Uh, oh, no."

"Hm," Meredith hummed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Charlottes forehead creased.

"Well, come on, Charlotte. She likes you."

"And I'm walking away," Charlotte pressed her lips together.

❄️

"Hey, what did you find?" Callie asked worriedly.

"Oh," Charlotte noticed her best friend as she headed towards her surgery where Meredith was waiting for her. "There were retained stones blocking her cystic duct remnant."