Sadie: seems like a nice enough town.

Y/N: yeah it's not to bad huh? I mean it's a little big for my taste.

Sadie: so you don't like cities, noted.

Y/N: oh no this job has given me a general distrust of these places, always having to look over your back and what not.

Sadie: I suppose, though in my estimation not much difference between looking over your shoulder for man or beast.

You two reach the saloon and tie your horses at the hitching post.

Y/N: that maybe but at least with an animal you know it's either hungry or protecting its young, man would shoot you in the back for the sport of it.

Sadie: alright I'll give you that one, so where would your ideal place be?

You two continue to the bar where you both order the beef stew and a beer before going to sit at a table.

Y/N: honestly a small town would be perfect for me, something like Blackthorn here in Texas or that place you lot were camped out at in Valentine.

Sadie: speaking of Blackthorn what's it like ?

Y/N: it's similar to Rhodes just more spread out, the sheriff there Pat Garrett has done alot to bring law and order there and it's been working.

Sadie: then why does your friend J.D. have to be there ?

Just as you're about to Answer your food is delivered and you two begin to eat.

Y/N: well the simple answer is an extra layer of deturnet, where Pat's jurisdiction ends outside town limits as a Ranger J.D. has jurisdiction in the entirety of Texas. Criminals are less likely to get up to no good when the law can chase you anywhere in the state.

Sadie: alright I'll give you that one, so why don't all states have their own Version of the rangers ?

Y/N: that's a good question and truthfully I don't think there is a reason. Though between you and me I think states are paying close attention to how the Rangers here are working. If they like what they see they may implement something similar.

Sadie: and if it fails ?

Y/N: well as federal Marshall's they'll have us. And of course local Sheriffs and what not.

Sadie: Pinkertons?

Y/N: No, they aren't recognized law enforcement, like back at the Camp Milton was acting outside his authority. Technically I could have arrested him then and there.

Sadie: but that would have derailed your investigation.

Y/N: Exactly and believe me there's othing I would have wanted more than to drag him to jail in cuffs. But most of this job is playing the long game you know ?

Sadie: So patience is a virtue huh?

Y/N: Exactly and trust me sometimes this job really tries your patience.

By this time you both finished your lunch and make your way to the general store, you buy some steaks for supper and make your way back to the horses. You place the stakes in your saddle. You nod at Sadie and you both mount your horses and start riding out of town.

Sadie: so how far is it from here to Blackthorn?

Y/N: we'll be there around noon tomorrow, I know of an abandoned cabin we can hold up I'm for the night.

Sadie: So what exactly is the plan once we get to Blackthorn?

Y/N: well after we getting settled we'll meet with Pat and J.D. and get what ever information we can from them, after that we'll do some scouting and see what we can find.