"I promise she'll be fine. It's just for one night." My words were two-pronged. I did mean them and I hoped I was reminding Misty that what we were doing was only temporary, however, I also spoke for the greater purpose of being overheard.

We don't see you. You see us and we don't see you.

I told myself the same words over and over. I could almost feel the shadows of the four figures pressing in. They were watching, listening... waiting.

In a show of subtlety, I made a move as though I was looking around the yard. I let my gaze glide right over where I knew the figures were last seen. I needed them to believe we'd simply missed them. I needed them to be emboldened.

I shivered. "This is far enough," I whispered loudly as we made it to the back steps. Gently, we lowered her body to the top of them. I hoped the sight of the body would either draw them in or slow them down as they came for the door.

We both straightened up. I looked at Misty as she stared down at the body. My mind kept spinning.

How do we get them to rush?

I followed Misty's gaze down to the body's exposed legs. "Do you want to cover her?" I asked Misty.

Misty's eyes darted up to me, confusion written all over her face. I was deviating from the plan. Pressing my lips in a firm thin line, I did my best to urge her with my eyes to speak.

They need to hear your distress.

"I – uh – okay." Misty sounded more confused than I was hoping for, but her genuine distress helped the pitch of her voice rise, making it easier to be heard across the yard.

I nodded. "Let's go see what we can find." I made my voice syrupy-sweet as I picked up the fire poker from the snow where Misty had left it when she lowered the body. She wasn't thinking clearly, but I needed her to hold it together for a bit longer. Wrapping an arm around her, I passed her back her weapon. She took it with a shaky hand.

We moved together to head back inside. Every step sent a feeling of icy pricks up my spine. The feeling of being watched was so intense it took everything I had to not run for the door.

Four steps away.

I thought I heard movement, but it was hard to tell over Misty's panting breaths.

Three steps.

I shifted my arm slightly, feeling my ice pick slip so the tip grazed my palm.

Two steps.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

It took me a moment to process what I was hearing.

Footsteps.

Someone was running across the snow behind us. I didn't need to turn around to know they were sprinting right for us.

I lost all the air in my lungs as instinctual panic hit me right in the gut. I was too scared to look. Instead, I shoved Misty ahead of me and through the door. I followed her in, slamming into Ian in the process.

The two of us staggered as he caught me before I fell to the ground.

Heavy footsteps thundered up the back steps. We would be breached in seconds. Despite all my careful planning, it felt like I had no time to think.

"Move!" Ray pushed us aside heading right for the door with his crowbar at the ready.

Two men barged inside. The shorter of the two was almost instantly hit upside the head by Ray's crowbar.

The man yelled out in surprise and pain as he dropped a hammer to the ground, clutching his head. His companion froze in his tracks. He looked as though he was going to take a step back, but he was shoved forward by another two men squeezing themselves into the room.