11 - Audrey

Buzz, buzz, buzz.

The sound of my phone vibrating underneath my pillow woke me from my post-morning shift nap. Groaning, I blindly reached under my pillow and grabbed my phone. "Hello," I answered groggily.

"Hey," Carter's voice sang into her ears. "Are we still on for tonight? You haven't been answering my texts."

I glanced at the time on my phone. "Sorry. I fell asleep after I got home from work. I didn't realize how late it was.

"It's okay. We don't have to go out tonight if you don't want to."

"No, no," I said. "I want to. Just give me an hour or hour and a half to get ready."

"Alright. I'll call you when I'm outside."

"Okay. Bye." I hung up with a sigh. Reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed and trudged into the bathroom. The last thing I wanted to do was go out tonight, but I wasn't in the mood to hear Carter's mouth. All he could talk about this week was our date tonight. His excitement was cute at first, but by Thursday afternoon, I was sick of his bragging. He told me he was going to take me to yet another expensive restaurant, and he got us tickets to the new Marvel movie. I don't know what reaction he was expecting, but he seemed disappointed that I wasn't super hype about our plans. Honestly, I would've been more than happy just hanging out in the house and watching a scary movie on Hulu. It was freezing outside, and I would've loved to cuddle up inside. But, I'd make the most out of our outing - even if it was just to make him happy.

After my steaming hot shower, I threw on a black long sleeved bodysuit, a burgundy cotton maxi skirt, and a pair of black booties with a small heel. As I was applying my mascara, I heard a soft knock on my room door. "Come in," I replied.

My fathers appeared behind the door. I could see them from my spot in the mirror. Papa raised an eyebrow at my attire. "Going out tonight?" He asked.

"Yeah. Another date with Carter." I glanced at the small frown on Daddy's usually grinning face. "Is everything okay? I can cancel if I need to."

"No, no, baby girl," Daddy said. "We just needed to talk to you about something. But it can wait."

I paused my movements, setting my mascara down and turning around to face them. "Tell me."

"Wyatt's been calling us," Marc explained. "He says he needs to speak with you."

"I don't have anything to say to him."

"He's your brother, princesa. At least hear what he has to say."

"No," I snapped, turning around. "I heard everything I needed during the trial."

"Audrey, put the trial aside. He was young, and she was his mother."

"She was my mother too!" I yelled. Tears pricked the back of my eyes at the acknowledgement. My scars burned underneath my clothes at the recollection of my time with her. Of her cruel words. Her wicked scowl. Her sinister eyes. Her punishments. I took a deep breath, pulling in all the misery that threatened to seep out at the thought of that evil woman. "He made a decision to choose her," I stated calmly. "Now, he has to live with it."

Benny slowly approached me, his large hand reaching out to wipe away the invisible tears falling from my eyes. "No one is asking you to forgive him," he said. "We're just asking for you to hear him out. Okay?"

I peered up into his gentle brown eyes. "I'll think about it."

He pecked a soft kiss at my forehead. "Thank you." He moved aside so Marc could give me a soft hug.