Chapter Eighteen

️⚠️Trigger Warning⚠️
Traumatic birth scenes resulting in emergency c-section and possible death.

If you have issues with these scenarios caution. Also if anyone wants to share their birth stories leaves comments or message me.

Third Person POV

At the sound of Savannah’s cry every head turned to only see her slide down the door frame to the floor. Multiple people calling out to her. Alex literally jumped over the couch to get to her as fast as possible.

“What’s wrong?” Alex asks as he reaches her.

She is silent just staring into the bedroom.

“Alex, look! She’s bleeding.” Reign points to the bedcover.

Alex's eyes hadn’t left Savannah’s face but at hearing Reign he looked up at the blood soaked bed. He moved to look at her better and saw the blood seeping through her clothes. Everyone is asking what is going on.

“Hunter, get the car!” Alex shouts.

Savannah doesn’t say anything. In shock she no longer registers her surroundings. She simply hears murmurs, like everyone is far away.

“Xander.” she mumbles to herself, repeating his name over and over.

Alex picks her up, bridle style, and starts for the door. Cassie holds on to James. Scared and not sure what to do for her best friend. Reign holds the door open for Alex and hurries to open the car door Hunter pulled up to the apartment. Cassie and James leave behind them, heading towards James’ car. Dorian hesitates and looks back for Makena. He was so shocked by the situation and wondering how he hadn’t noticed, that he completely forgot about Makena. He was suddenly concerned when he didn’t see her. Hunter’s bedroom door opened and Sadie walked out, making sure to close the door behind her.

“I didn’t know what to do. So I took her in there. I told her we were going to watch a movie. I didn’t know what was going on but I figured she didn’t need to see…”

“Thank you!” Dorian cut her off. “You can go.”

“I can stay with her. You go.”

“What, no. She is my daughter and Savannah is your best friend.” He challenged her.

“And she’s yours too. But if she is having that baby tonight…you’ve been there. They would benefit from you being there more than me. Plus if you go in that room and tell her we all left she is going to know something is going on.”

He groans like he knows she is right even though he doesn’t want to admit it. He nods.

“Fine. But I will be back as soon as I know they are both ok. And then we can talk about the other night.”

He quickly turns and heads out the door. Sadie once again left alone and confused. She just shakes her head before grabbing a snack and heading back into the bedroom to watch a movie with Makena…or at least pretend to.

------------

Alex rushes into the emergency room, shouting for a doctor. A nurse hurries over with a wheelchair. He gently places her in the chair. Everyone else comes rushing in behind them.

“What’s wrong sweetheart?” The nurse calmly asks Savannah.

“She is bleeding. It just started not too long ago.” Alex tried to stay calm and answer.

Savannah was still in shock and didn’t reply.

“Ok and how far along are we?” the nurse asks as she pushes Savannah towards a set of doors.

“Uh, thirty-eight or maybe nine weeks.” He tries to inform her but he can't seem to think straight.

Back in the waiting room the whole group gathers. Hunter and James on their phones letting parents know what was going on, the girls sitting together, everyone confused and worried. Dorian is the last one to arrive.

“Where’s Sadie?” Reign asks.

“She stayed with Makena. Do we know anything yet?” Dorian asked.

They all shook their heads. He just nods, he didn’t figure they would yet.

“Do you know what’s going on?” Reign asks Dorian.

“I don’t know. Bleeding could be a few different things. She is only a week away from her scheduled c-section. We shouldn’t jump to anything until we hear what the doctor has to say.”

They nod and everyone goes silent again.
.
..

….
…..
Time ticks by.
…..
….
...
..
.
Savannah and Alex’s parents show up and join the group in the waiting room.
.
..

..
.
Everyone looks up at the sound of someone coming through the double doors. They all stand and some even rush to Alex.

"What's going on?" Savannah’s mom, nearly in tears, asks.

"The doctor said it's a placenta abruption."

Mrs. Thomson covers her mouth as she gasps. Her husband moves to be behind her and rubs her back.

"The baby's heart rate is elevated so they are prepping her for surgery now. Dr. Hill is on her way to do the c-section. I need to get back to them but I wanted to let you all know."

After Alex leaves the group they move back to their seats to wait some more.

"So what does that mean?" Hunter asks.

"A placenta abruption is when the placenta breaks away from the wall of the uterus." His mother explained.

"Which means?" Hunter asks again.

"Basically, that's how the baby gets its oxygen and it's possible he could start to suffocate." Dorian simplifies for him.

Everyone once again falls silent. With only the occasional quiet sob.

Alex had never been more scared in his entire life. Not even the last time she was in the hospital or when he watched her collapse on the ski trip. Because this time there were two of them. Two people; one he just got back and the other he had yet to meet. Both of which could be taken away from him. Savannah had lost so much blood she was almost ghost white. As he watched the chaos of organization around him he focused on the beeping. Each beep a heart beat. Each beep, a confirmation that they were both still with him.