Xiao Li nodded and promised him. "The last question, do you have any special customs in the village?"

"Customs?" The man thought about it. "Nothing special, just go to bed at 9 o'clock at night. Does this count?"

Zhu Yiting, who was listening quietly, couldn't help interjecting. "What type of custom is this?"

"That's all."

Xiao Li nodded thoughtfully and ended his questioning. Then Tao Fei asked a few simple questions before they left together.

**********

At the same time, a residential area in the Gathering Souls Village.

A middle-aged woman was folding straw under the light of an oil lamp. There was a pile of straw at her feet and her surname was Li. Everyone called her Sister-in-law Li. The house might be dimly lit but her hands were dexterous and skilled. She quickly turned the straw into a human form.

She stood up with the straw person, took a small dressing box from the cupboard next to her, opened it and pulled out a brass bell and a box of rouge.

She applied rouge onto her index finger and wiped it over the heart of the straw person, whispering, "The hour has come, the soul has come, the time has come..."

However, nothing happened. Sister-in-law Li looked at her index finger and a trace of decisiveness flashed in her eyes. She bit her finger and squeezed out a drop of blood, replacing the original rouge and continuing to chant her previous words.

The room was still calm and there wasn't the movement she expected. Her figure was fixed in place. After a long time, she sighed and put everything back, including the straw person. Then she got into bed and prepared to go to sleep.

Just moments after she lay on the bed, a clear knock was heard from the dilapidated wooden door.

"Who is it?" She sat up and asked.

"...It's me." A rough voice was heard. It belonged to a man of the village.

Sister-in-law recognized the voice of the man outside the door and let go of her worries to walk over and open the door. "Zhang Tao, why did you come to see me at this time?"

The man outside the door had white lips and a blue face. Under the moonlight, people might think he was dead. Zhang Tao didn't speak. He just handed over the black box in his hand to the other person. His arm was bent with an unnatural stiffness.

Sister-in-law Li took the box incredulously. "What is this? Why do you look so ugly today? What is going on?"

Zhang Tao's mysterious eyes shifted from the box to the face of the middle-aged woman. Then he spoke in a hoarse voice. "Open it."

After that, he walked away.

Sister-in-law Li stood at the door and looked at the box in her hand. She decided to catch up and ask. She tried to reach Zhang Tao's back but no matter how slowly he seemed to be walking, he was always in front of her. She couldn't catch up and followed him all the way to the memorial hall.

Memorial hall...?

Sister-in-law Li realized that something was wrong. Fear rose in her consciousness. She stared at the two white lanterns in a panic and entered step by step until she saw the photo in the middle and directly collapsed to the ground. "This... what is going on?!"

Her actions were too big. Zhang Tao's little brother rushed out to scold her but stopped when he saw it was Sister-in-law Li. He stepped forward to help her up and asked, "Sister-in-law Li, what's wrong? Did you come here to worship my brother?"