➻ Chapter 11

Elijah did me good, I became more and more aware of that

Elijah did me good, I became more and more aware of that. Two days later, Amelia wanted to go on a trip with me. She didn't tell me where to go. I hated surprises. When I was about to drive off with my Hyundai, it did not start again. After swearing and trying five times, I let it be. I called Amelia and asked her to pick me up. For eight years the car had been my jewel and now it failed. Like the relationship with Noah, the car went down the drain. I was really sad that the vehicle didn't start, but now I didn't have time to take care of it.

Less than fifteen minutes later, Amelia arrived honking. A hit of the 90s boomed from their loudspeakers.

»Jump in, or we'll miss my surprise,« Amelia shouted from the open window. In a flash, I sat down in the passenger seat.

»What's wrong with your car again?« She wore a leopard-patterned blouse with a plunging neckline and black light linen trousers. A typical Amelia look.

»I have no idea. Since the separation with Noah it is crazy. Maybe the car noticed that I broke up with Noah,« I said jokingly.

»New man and new car, why not?«

»I would have liked to keep the car. I don't care about Noah.«

»Yes, if my car were to give up overnight, I'd be sad too,« Amelia replied, resting her head theatrically on the steering wheel at the red light.

»The car was my little baby.«

»I feel the same way. No one who has not been driving a single car for a long time can understand this. Charlotte changes her cars as often as her underpants.«

»You're right,« I agreed, grinning.

»Where's Lola?«, I asked when I noticed that Amelia's dog was not in the car. Lola was a small terrier who was always on his toes.

»I left her at home because I don't know if dogs are allowed where we're going,« Amelia explained, putting on her sunglasses.

»Yes, the mysterious place where you take me.«

»We'll be there soon. But you can't be so sceptical.« After this sentence, I was all the more nervous and excited about what to expect. I just wasn't a fan of surprises and she knew it.

A few minutes later, we stopped in a questionable area I had never been to. The streets were empty and only a few children kicked cans against a house wall.

»Where are we here, Amelia?« I checked to see if the automatic lock was on.

»In South Los Angeles.«

»A gloomy area. Aren't there gangs here who rob cars or shoot people during the day?« I asked with an oppressive feeling in the stomach area.

»Get out already,« my friend told me.

»If you want to shoot me and then bury my body, you don't have to do it in South L.A.,« I replied, swinging the car door shut.

»Nonsense, I would leave this job to someone else.«