➻ Chapter 1

After all the hustle and bustle of Christmas and the stress of New Year's Eve, I was glad that I had completed all the projects that had been on my long list

After all the hustle and bustle of Christmas and the stress of New Year's Eve, I was glad that I had completed all the projects that had been on my long list. I enjoyed not planning a birthday or anything like that for the next few weekends, but finally having time for my best friends and my boyfriend again.

Noah and I had been together for almost eight years and I was happy with him. At least I thought so - if it weren't for the little spark that kept whispering in my ear that maybe there could be something better out there. Noah was nice and handsome, he was the typical Californian surfer boy. I, on the other hand, didn't look like a girl from California. Although I had blond hair and blue eyes, my skin was hardly tanned due to my stressful job, which almost never allowed me to be outside in the sun.

I wasn't good at swimming or diving, let alone surfing, even though my boyfriend taught surfing. I've lived in Los Angeles, the sun city of California, all my life. My parents were wealthy and bought me an apartment in Studio City for my 20th birthday. Noah moved in with me a few years ago. So it took him a while to get to the sea, especially since traffic in Los Angeles was generally hell, but he paid very little rent for it.

Today I met one of my best friends for lunch. Usually there were four of us, but Charlotte and Evelyn had to work today. Charlotte worked as a real estate agent and Evelyn was the press secretary for the Tigers, a Los Angeles basketball club. When I parked, I saw Amelia already standing in front of the restaurant. Amelia's bob rocked up and down. She was on the phone, gesticulating wildly, in front of our favourite restaurant, the Cheesecake Factory. I approached her slowly and carefully so as not to startle her immediately. She kissed me left and right and hung up a few seconds later.

»Sorry,« she apologised quickly.

»No problem,« I replied.

»It's just the two of us today, so we've got time to just take care of your needs,« Amelia said, walking into the Cheesecake Factory with me in her arms.

»And yours!« I added. I was the kind of woman who didn't like being the centre of attention. Evelyn and Charlotte, on the other hand, were masters at always drawing attention to themselves. Charlotte loved to be in the limelight and Evelyn was such a clumsy person that she automatically attracted everyone's attention. Charlotte dated Hollywood actor Henry Adams and has been in the press ever since. Evelyn also had a friend for a few months, bartender Liam, who had become a good advisor to me. I liked chatting with him. Amelia had been single for a while and was about ten years older than the other three of us. I had known her for a few years and despite the age difference, she behaved just like us. The waitress escorted us to a table and showed us to our seats.

»Are you excited yet?« Amelia asked, alluding to my eight-year anniversary tomorrow. She stroked my back affectionately. She always did that when she knew how nervous one of us was.

»I'm super excited. Eight years,« I explained, my voice shaking.

»You think he's proposing to you? Like what felt like the tenth time last year?« my friend asked, raising her eyebrows.