➻ Chapter 3

I examined my hand several times

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I examined my hand several times. The yellow gold ring sparkled in the sun. I had never worn gold jewellery in my life. My skin wasn't really tanned, which didn't show off the jewellery quite as well, and I just found silver jewellery much more classy. Noah should have known that. But that was whining at a high level.

It was Sunday morning and my friends and I would meet up for breakfast or lunch on either Saturday or Sunday. I was glad to announce the news to them right away. Excited and nervous, I went to the FIG, which was just off Wilshire Boulevard.

Amelia and Charlotte were already seated at one of the tables, happily waving at me.

»Olivia, you're so beaming and yesterday was your anniversary. Go ahead, shoot!« Amelia yelled, who seemed as excited as I was.

Just as I was about to tell them what important thing had happened, our little blonde burst into the restaurant.

»Sorry! I'm only five minutes late,« Evelyn said, glancing at her rose gold watch.

»Olivia was about to tell us about her night out with Noah when you interrupted her,« Charlotte said, tucking a strand of hair behind her right ear. Evelyn sat down at the table anxiously and stared at me.

»Yes, go.« I held out my left hand to them.

»Finally,« Charlotte replied, unsurprisingly.

»Noah proposed to you,« Amelia replied, clapping her hands happily.

»Congratulations,« Evelyn said, hugging me.

»How was it?« Amelia asked curiously. I told them every little detail, from riding the tandem bike to the delicious dessert, which was pudding.

»And what kind of wedding do you want? Should it take place in summer or in winter? Or more like spring or fall?« asked Charlotte, who's always been a good planner.

»I haven't thought about it,« I said, turning the ring back and forth.

»But you've been expecting a proposal for a long time. Haven't you picked up bridal magazines yet?« Evelyn asked.

»No,« I admitted.

»Somehow I wasn't really expecting a proposal anymore,« I added. Amelia and I exchanged a meaningful look.

»What's going on here?« Charlotte asked.

»Nothing,« I murmured.

»Naturally. You just gave Amelia a funny look. Aren't you happy about the engagement?«

»Yes, but all right. Things haven't been exactly brilliant between Noah and I lately. I honestly don't know if a wedding is what Noah and I need,« I told my friends. It felt good to speak the truth. I had wanted nothing more than to finally be married and now that Noah had asked me, I had serious doubts.