Chapter 28

Autumn

November 30th, 1962

Samantha sat in a chair in front of the mirror while Eden curled her hair. She studied herself. Her makeup was already done, covering up all the blemishes and the bags under her eyes. She made sure to leave some of her freckles visible after Eden made a fuss about Samantha 'covering up her natural beauty', to which Samantha rolled her eyes. Her eyeliner was slightly winged and her eyeshadow was dark brown and gold. Her eyes looked brighter than usual, much to her excitement. She looked older, like a woman, and she was proud that she wasn't the awkward girl she had been five years ago.

"Voila," Eden announced as she released Samantha's last curl. "Perfection, if I do say so myself."

Eden shuffled in front of Samantha and messed with her bangs before applying hairspray that made both of them cough. "Henry's gonna piss himself when he sees you." Samantha gave Eden a disgusted look. "In a good way, of course."

"Is there even a good way to piss yourself?" Samantha countered and stood up.

"Yeah, when ye see a beautiful woman."

Samantha snorted and straightened out her skirt. She was wearing a green pleated skirt with a white button-up tucked into it. She had a brown knit sweater over top of her shirt and a belt cinching up her skirt onto her waist, otherwise, it would look like she was wearing a goddamn box. She felt her stomach sink as she looked down at herself. "Do I look ridiculous? Maybe I need to change again," Samantha said and turned to rush back to her room, but Eden stepped in front of her and blocked her path.

"Sam, ye look amazing. We already decided this was the best outfit, remember?" Samantha dodged Eden's eyes, her feeling of confidence now gone after a single glance in the mirror. Eden placed her hands on Samantha's shoulders and shook her slightly. "Remember?"

Samantha begrudgingly raised her eyes to look at Eden. "Yeah, I remember."

"That's what I thought," Eden said with a nod. She rounded Samantha and pushed her out of the bathroom and into the living room. Samantha huffed and sat on the couch which Eden had strategically placed Samantha's shoes next too. She began lacing up the boots as Eden reminded her that if anything were to go wrong or seem weird to call her.

When her boots were laced up properly she stood up and blew some of her bangs out of her eyes. She felt a knot in her stomach that she hadn't felt in a long time. It was a mix of nerves and excitement, but also a good amount of fear. "Oh God, Eden maybe this is a mistake," she squeaked.

Eden only shook her head and rested her hands on Samantha's shoulders. "Nope, it's not. I promise ye, it's not. Sammi, yer gonna be fine. Just take a breath." Together, the two girls took a deep breath. As they let out the breath there was a knock on the door.

Samantha's eyes widened. "Breathe," Eden reminded her. Samantha nodded in response. "And for God sakes Sam, have fun."

With that, Eden turned Samantha around by her shoulders to face the door. Samantha let out a huff of air and yanked the door open. Henry stood with a sheepish smile on his face and a small bouquet of flowers in his right hand. His usually un-gelled hair was combed nicely to the side and he wore khaki pants with a blue button down and a nice tweed suit jacket. "H-er-hi," Samantha blubbered and Eden snorted behind her.

"Hi," he greeted back and his smile widened a bit. "These are for you," he held out the flowers. Daisies, she noted to herself, and then she took them.

"Ta, Henry," Samantha said and her cheeks heated up. "Eden, can you put these in a vase please?" She handed the flowers to Eden and Eden waved to Henry, who returned the gesture. "Oh, yes. Eden this is Henry. Henry, this is my roommate and best friend Eden."