Chapter 27

Autumn

November 29th, 1962

It was a foggy day in Berkeley. Not abnormal for the area, really. Samantha shuffled around campus with her books in hand a satchel over her shoulder. The air was salty and there was a chill in it that bit slightly at her nose. She had her brown wool jacket on, her red scarf around her neck. Many of the other students were bundled the same. None of their protection from the cold matched that of the styles that were being worn in Liverpool around this time. Samantha figured there were already heaps of white snow covering the ground, preparing the port town for the month of December.

The University of Berkeley was preparing for finals week, and Samantha was beyond stressed. She and Eden were in their own apartment now, still less than ten minutes away from her Grandmother, who she was due visit after her last class. She had to go to work after the visit with her Grandmother and then rent was due in a week and she had to scrape together enough money to cover the last fifty dollars. Eden had gotten sick and wasn't able to cover a little bit of her rent, but promised she was pay Samantha back. Samantha obliged but was now finding it difficult to actually find the money since she didn't want to take out of the bit she had saved up for a flight to Liverpool for the Holidays.

All of the financial burdens as well as her class workload had been piling up, and she was teetering on the edge of sanity as she made her way to her English class.

Her English Professor, Dr. Stanley Emerson, always stood in the doorway to greet his students. Samantha spotted him greeting her peers at his door as she weaved her way down the hall. "Good Morning Miss Clarke, how's your day been?" He greeted when she reached the classroom. Dr. Emerson had a kind smile and warm eyes. He wore circular glasses that reminded her of the ones John had to wear when they first met. His hair had specks of gray mixed in and his eyes had soft crows feet but nonetheless Dr. Emerson radiated youthfulness.

"Alright for the most part."

"Have you begun reading Persuasion yet?"

"Haven't gotten around to it. I think over break I'll have the time," she replied. Dr. Emerson liked to recommend all of his students' books for educational purposes. The only one who ever read them were her. After his second quarter teaching Samantha, he began to recommend her books he'd thought she'd enjoy. Not just books for class.

The older man nodded. "I'd really like to hear your thoughts when winter break is over."

Samantha smiled. "Of course!"

She ducked through the door and found her usual seat next to Henry. He was not an English Major, and made it very clear that he was studying Biology. It was a requirement in the University for him to complete this particular class. He was actually horrid at English and Language arts. One day Dr. Emerson asked Samantha to help him with a short answer on something or other, what it was in particular Samantha couldn't remember. They had sat next to each other ever since.

Henry was a great conversationalist. Samantha rarely had to find something to talk about with him. It seemed as though he had conversation points shoved up his sleeve and in his back pockets. He also genuinely made Samantha laugh. She found herself smiling all the time when he was around because of his silly jokes or odd phrases. She called them "Henry-isms", a nickname for his wording which he found quite hilarious. Henry had light brown hair and spirited hazel eyes that made him look like he was always up to something, whether he was or not. He had a boisterous and infectious laugh that complimented his bright smile. His cheeks were round and always seemed to have a red tint to them, and his nose was straight. A pair of black square glasses sat on them and he pushed them up frequently as he chattered. There was something about Henry that she was drawn too. He had a comforting affect on her; and she enjoyed his presence in class and when he walked her to her bus stop after the lecture.