Despair

"Y'know, you could still buy something worthwhile with that 100." I told Peter as we walked to the library under the night sky.

"Still, I wanted a car..." Peter whined.

"It doesn't matter, Pete. You should be proud of yourself. He was undefeated, and only you were able to beat him."

"I guess..."

"Alright, mister," I stopped him in his tracks, "Quit that frowning bullshit. I won't let you leave until I see you smile. C'mon. Smile. You did good and I want you to be happy about yourself."

"Y/N, c'mon we aren't kids anymore."

"Didn't know that only kids smiled. C'mon Petey-boy..."

He then chuckled and gave me a cute but awkward smile. "There you go, was that so hard?" We continued our way to Ben, until we saw a couple of police cars pull up right in front of the library. We saw a group of people huddle up near what seems to be Uncle Ben's car.

"Uncle Ben?" Peter whispered and ran towards the group. Oh god no. Did something happen to poor old Ben? He's such a sweet old man, why would he be hurt? We made our way there and started pushing people to see what's happening, and my worst fear has come true. On the ground laid poor old Uncle Ben, shot and bleeding out. Seeing this broke my heart, and I began crying real hard along with Peter. He didn't deserve this! He was a sweet man, and I have known him as long as I have known Peter. Poor Peter. Poor Aunt May.

"What happened!?" Peter demanded to the officer as he knelt down to inspect Ben.

"Carjacker... he's been shot. We just called the paramedics, they're on their way." the officer responded. Tears invaded my eyes to the point where all I could see was fluids. I knelt down as well.

"Uncle Ben?" Peter desperately called out. Ben slowly opened up his eyes and looked around.

"Peter?" he stirred. Hearing his shaky voice made my mental state detiorate more. I couldn't help but feel that I caused this! It was my fault for telling Peter to go to that wrestling show, and he lost his uncle because of this! I can't do anything right!

"We're here, Uncle Ben. Y/N is here" Ben then slowly turned his head towards me, and it was like the embodiment of guilt staring at me directly. This was all my fault...

"Peter..." Uncle Ben cried out one last time as Peter and I grabbed his hand, desperately hoping for him to hold on until the paramedics arrived. But... he didn't. We felt his hands go limp, and his eyes closed... never to see the light of day ever again. His head fell to his side... and just like that the man that raised Peter was gone.

"Ben..." I cried with more tears streaming down my face. In his own way, he was like my second father when I was young and when my dad was too busy running a company. He would always be there to play with me and Peter whenever I hung out with him. He was a good man, and to have him shot dead is unfair. The world lost a great man, but heaven just gained a new angel.

"Y/N... he's gone..." Peter tried looking my way but I looked away. I couldn't see his face, not after realizing that I caused this. I did this to Peter. How could I live with myself?

"They got the shooter. He's headed south on Fifth. We got three cars in pursuit." one of the policemen said. Peter then stood up.

"Peter... don't leave." I cried.

"They're gonna pay. They took Uncle Ben, and now I'm gonna take their life." Peter said coldly before running off.

"PETER!!!" I yelled out but it was no use. Peter was gonna go after them, and I can't blame him. I looked down on Ben's lifeless body one more time. "Ben, I'm so sorry." I whispered.

"Ma'am, the paramedics are here. We're gonna need you to stand clear." the police man told me, to which I complied. There's no way I could catch Peter on Fifth, it's obvious he's gonna use his little spider powers to find the man. And truth be told... I hope Peter kills him.

At Osborn Residence...

I exited the elevator, heart heavy and tears still flowing. Immense guilt overwhelmed me, how could I let this happen? I went to the kitchen to see Harry just sitting around.

"Y/N, have you seen da- whoa are you okay?" Harry questioned in concern. I didn't say anything, all I did was hug my brother. I needed someone to comfort me after what I did, even if it's my stupid brother.

"Harry, he's gone..." I cried on his shoulder.

"Who is?"

"Peter's uncle... he's been shot. Just now."

"What?"

"Yeah... and it's all my fault!"

"Y/N, how could you say that?"

"It is Harry! It's all my fault!" I yelled in frustration.

"Y/N, just tell me what happened. Sit with me." He signalled across the table.

"Okay... you remember yesterday when Peter had a fight and ran out?"

"How could I forget?"

"Yeah, I followed him and we talked. I told him about a wrestling show that was gonna happen."

"Mmhm?"

"I told him to join and he did. Of course, Peter lied that we were gonna study at the library so naturally Uncle Ben wanted to drop us off and pick us up. After the show, Ben was shot just outside the library where he promised to pick us up. Peter ran off after and I came here after..."

"Oh my god..."

"Yeah..."

"I...we need to let his aunt know if she doesn't know yet."

"No. That's not our place to say. Peter may have already let her know by now."

"Okay... but why would you blame yourself?"

"Ugh, Harry have you been listening to me?" I raised my voice at him. "Ben wouldn't have been shot at the library if I never told Peter to go! Ben would still be alive instead of being at the wrong place at the wrong time! I put him in that position because I forced Peter to go!"

"Y/N, you're wrong. You couldn't have known this. Things happen so suddenly, and there's just things that are out of our control. The person that shot him? He's the one at fault. He pulled the trigger, not you. Don't put yourself down, you can't feel guilty for something out of your control."

"I-still. Peter... May... what's going to happen Harry?"

"I don't know, Y/N, but we need to be there for our friend. He's like family. Him, his aunt and especially his uncle. C'mon Y/N. Let's get you to bed. I'll stay up until dad returns"

"I... thanks Harry." I hugged my brother once more.

"Y/N, I care about you and Peter. As long as I can help it, I'll make sure nothing bad like this ever happens again to either of you. Promise."