69: Nothing Wrong

Magsimula sa umpisa

At first if it was slow to catch on, but bit by bit more people began to like the idea of getting free help in exchange for some food.

It couldn't be said it was all the best quality but it was edible.

Then someone asked Wally if he'd set up wanted posters for them all over the city and he did that.

Pyrrha thought it was great idea to do people favors and she was able to help move a broken wagon's axle.

Jaune helped out with some minor medical injuries also.

Nora and Ren had less skills of this sort, but Nora was game to try moving stuff.

At first it wasn't going to be enough, but it added up of the course of the afternoon.

And some people, impressed by their good attitude, came up and gave them stuff for nothing in exchange.

Others said they were idiots, which annoyed Ren, but the others brushed it off.

One lady said she felt sorry for all the children in the refugees who were missing their homes, and it wasn't their fault if their parents were snobs. She gave them 100 lien.

Wally had to borrow a cart from someone who agreed to let him use it if he'd finish their deliveries for them, and then he put the stuff they got in it and they all took it back to the camp.

Somewhere, though it shouldn't have, it went around the whole camp and it seemed like everything got at least some food.

Water had to be brought from the Oasis, but with less grimm around, the huntsmen were finally able to do this without being attacked and that problem was solved for the time being...though they really needed a better system.

"You see," Wally told team JNPR. "A lot of people really aren't as mean as they seem at first, they're just busy and tied up in their own lives. But if you really treat them right, they might bring out their best, and maybe they'll even think of someone else. It's just about making them feel safe, not like you're just out to get something from them. I once had a Christmas visit with a supervillain just because both of us thought that kids are worth it, and we should encourage them to give some good back to the world...you won't see this on the news much, but kindness sticks with people, it really does."

"I feel like we shouldn't have to beg people for help," Ren said. "It's just the right thing to do."

Wally wasn't in the mood to really argue, but after a pause he said. "Yeah it is, but people can forget that. Wasn't that Emerald chick a street thief once? I guess no one helped her out, so it happens...maybe there's just too many people in need for us to get them all, but I just think people don't all try either. So we can encourage them to just help each other out. Heck, sometimes even people who don't like each other will help a brother out just because they feel bad for their situation. It's amazing what people will do."

"I think he's right about that," Jaune said brightly. "Kindness matters."

"It always matters," Pyrrha said. "Even just little kindnesses. I'm just glad they helped at all."

"Yeah," Nora said. "But all this food is making me hungry."

* * *

"So yeah it was nice," Wally finished. "I mean, at least we did something other than fight monsters for a while."

"I'm sure they all needed a reminder of what really matters," Shine mused. "We all can get on our high horses about the fate of the world, but I can't help but remember that Jesus and the Apostles said that the highest form of goodness was helping people who are less fortunate than us and in less high standing. I forget that too easily."