[2] a fourteenth street hooker

Start from the beginning

♮♮♮

The group was gathered under a large Oak down by the barn for a small funeral for Otis.

"Blessed be God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to Him, for the gift of our brother Otis..."

There was a loud sound up by the farmhouse, distracting the group.

"Was probably nothing." Daryl told them, looking for a chance to escape, "I'll go check it out though."

"Mr. G? Maggie?" JJ cautiously called out as she walked up the stairs to the white farmhouse. "Is anyone even home?"

"Where do you think you're going, Goldi locks?"

"Could ask you the same thing, Redneck Riviera." JJ sassed back. "I'm looking for the Greene's. You know...since this is their house." She started to walk back down the steps, and Daryl became more tense, holding the crossbow even steadier. "Are you gonna put the bow down, or are you really that afraid of me? I mean, in my defense, I have done some damage to guys who were way bigger than you."

"I ain't afraid of no one. Specially not a 14th street hooker."

"Ooh, harsh. Why the specific street? You frequent there a lot?"

"It's a saying."

"Right." JJ crossed her arms. "Where is everyone?"

"Down there." He motioned, finally lowering his crossbow.

JJ looked out to the barn, "what're they doing there?"

"Having a funeral."

"For who?"

"Otis."

"What happened?"

"You're asking a lot of questions for a stranger."

"Well, you're giving a lot of vague answers for a stranger."

"He was trying to get a boy medicine."

"What happened to the boy?"

"Shot."

"He yours?"

"What?"

"The boy. Is he your kid?"

"Nah."

"Then whose is he?"

"See the man in the sheriff's hat? It's his."

JJ became quiet and bolted into the house. It was a long shot, but it wasn't impossible. Daryl darted after her through the house and up the stairs.

"Oh my God." JJ breathed.

"The hell you think you're doing?!"

JJ ignored him, walking over and kneeling next to Carl's bed. "Carl."

"We heard yelling, what's going-" Rick busted into the room. "JJ?"

JJ looked up from Carl. "Hey. Long time no see." Despite her awkwardness she felt toward him, Rick embraced his sister. "Thought you hated me."

"Thought you were dead." He pulled away from the hug to look at her, "What are you doing here?...and dressed like-"

"A fourteenth street hooker?"

"I was gonna say an MTV groupie, but that works too." Rick shrugged.

Daryl still seemed skeptical, clearly not taking well to the newcomer.

"It's all good, Daryl."

"Yeah, your guard dog there did a great job at keeping away intruders." JJ sarcastically jabbed.