Chapter six

Mulai dari awal

Audrey thought back to the stories her mother and teachers had read to her as a child. "They're guardians and caretakers. Their job is to make sure no one hurts..." her voice trailed off as the pieces clicked together in her mind. The burn of a mortified blush added to the sting of the cuts and scrapes that already criss crossed her cheeks. Swallowing down the hard lump in her throat, Audrey glanced at the splintered trunk of the ancient tree she had toppled with her tantrum and said, "They make sure no one hurts the forest."

"Indeed," Welkin said. They leaned down so they would speak directly into her ear. "As I'm sure you can understand, this one isn't pleased about the mess you've made. I've convinced them to let you go, but I still think they deserve an apology, don't you?"

Welkin didn't need to say it twice. Audrey apologized again and again for knocking down the tree and for disrespecting the forest and for being a terrible person all around. With every rambling "I'm sorry", the spirit lumbered a little bit closer until it towered over her. It reached down and pressed a dark, gnarled finger under her chin and tipped her head back. Audrey stared into the spirit's eyes, feeling smaller than she ever had in her entire life. After what felt like an eternity, the forest spirit lifted its gaze to Welkin and let out a series of deep groans. Welkin sang in reply.

"Are you... talking to each other?" Audrey whispered, to which Welkin nodded. "What did it say?"

A wry smile tugged at Welkin's mouth. "It said that I have my work cut out for me with you." Audrey wasn't sure whether to be insulted or flattered.

Silently, the spirit turned and pointed toward the woods. Audrey watched in complete disbelief as the trees began shifting to the side until what was once a dense underbrush became a perfect path that stretched off far beyond what she could see. She was still gawping at it as Welkin nudged her forward and onto the path. Once they were several paces along, Welkin stopped her with a hand upon her shoulder. Together they watched as the trees behind them moved back into place so imperceptibly that Audrey would have doubted her own eyes if not for the fact that one moment she could see the forest spirit and the next it was completely obscured from view.

Before she could ask what was happening, Audrey was pulled into Welkin's tight embrace once more.

"Let me see you," they demanded shakily as they tipped Audrey's face up and smoothed back the hair that had come loose from her ponytail. Their fingertips grazed her scuffed face, making Audrey wince. Then, to Audrey's seemingly endless surprise, Welkin choked out a small sob.

"My dear child," they whispered as they pressed a tender kiss to her forehead, "I thought I had lost you."

This confession seemed to knock something loose in Audrey's soul. All of the fear and confusion was suddenly unbearable, and she felt so very tired. And so, Audrey let Welkin hold her close, and she cried.

"I'm so sorry," she wailed. "I shouldn't have said those things — I shouldn't have gotten mad. I don't— I don't know what's wrong with me."

Welkin shushed her softly. "I am the one who should be apologizing to you. I didn't realize I was causing you so much pain, but I should have." They tipped their head so that their cheek rested atop Audrey's hair. "Can I tell you a secret, daughter?"

The prospect of hearing a Star's secret made Audrey shiver, but she nodded anyway. She felt Welkin smile against her scalp.

"I have no idea what I'm doing," Welkin said. "I don't know the first thing about being a parent. Without your mother here, I am lost — in many ways, but especially when it comes to you. I don't know what you need from me and, if I'm being truthful, that frightens me."

Audrey rubbed away her tears with the sleeve of her now filthy hoody and huffed a quiet laugh. "If it makes you feel any better, I think that's how human parents feel too."

Welkin laughed. "Strangely enough, that does help. Still... I know that I have failed you thus far, Audrey. And, you're right — I should not have waited until now to step in. Perhaps it's too late for our relationship to be what it could have been, but I'm hoping you will let me try to make amends."

"I don't need you to make amends," Audrey said, pulling back so that she could look her parent in the eyes. "I just need you to be here for me now. Because, if I'm being truthful, I'm scared too."

Welkin smiled and their eyes glittered. "I appreciate your candor."

They untangled their arms from one another and stepped apart. It was only then that Audrey realized that Welkin had her pack slung across their shoulder, and her heart ached tenderly.

"So..." she ventured, "what now?"

Tipping their head thoughtfully, Welkin considered the question for a moment. "Perhaps we should begin by exploring how to channel your newfound power into something slightly less destructive."

Audrey grinned. "Sounds good to me."

***

Thanks for reading! If you like my work and would like to support me, you can...

⭐ Subscribe at Ko-Fi.com/Maggie
Comment and vote on this chapter
Share this story with your friends on social media