XXVI

I used to think I knew where Kevin began, and where I ended.

In his car, during this winter evening, I discovered these lines had long been blurred.

Long before Kevin's lips were on mine. Long before we were sharing the same breaths inside the same car. Long before our pounding hearts were synchronized and our skin was slick with greed.

But I hadn't taken the time to notice it until now. I didn't want to.

It was an undeniable truth as I felt his hand wrap around my throat. His other hand grasped the back of my hair, and I found myself slightly mirroring him. Both of my hands curled in the spot behind Kevin's ears, where his fluffy hair resided, when he began to kiss me.

Now, they met together at the base of his head, earning noticeable groan when I dug my nails in and tugged at his roots.

Kevin's hand squeezed around my throat, and I felt myself hiss softly as this fuzzy feeling began. He broke the kiss, eyes flickering open as they met mine.

There was this sick look in his gaze, something mixed between lust and amusement. I saw it, because it was those eyes that I looked into as he grabbed a fistful of my hair, a sharp pain exploding across my skull as he pulled. My heard jerked back,

"Kevin-" I gasped softly, and I watched as he exhaled out a half-chuckle. I shot him a glare, and felt him release my hair. An achey feeling followed, and I almost considered asking him to come back.

Do it again. I thought, not helping it. What the fuck was that?

My thoughts must have been written across my face—that obvious disappointment—because with his sordid smile, Kevin pecked my lips before slipping his hand away from my throat,

"Don't worry. I'm just getting comfortable." He assured, and I watched in slight disbelief as his hands reached down to unbuckle... his seatbelt.

He turned, undoing mine as it slipped over my chest, slinking back to the retractor.

Then he leaned over, forearm pressed against my waist as he adjusted the lever beside the seat. His other hand gripped the headrest, and Kevin pushed down my seat as low as it would allow. I couldn't help it, letting out a yelp as I shot daggers at him,

"Enjoy it while it lasts." I warned, my breath hitching as he got on top of me, his waist pressed into mine, "I'm... gonna stop you soon enough." I added, trying not to get flustered.

I heard his gravelly laughter as he got settled, looking down at me as his lips hovered over mine. Kevin's eyes looked into mine for only a second, before flickering to my parted lips and rising chest,

"Are you now?" He teased. I swallowed, nodding my head,

"Yeah... I-I am-" He hummed, his hand moving to my waist. He traced the bare skin there with his edges of his fingertips, and I had to close my eyes to keep from shuddering. It didn't work.

Kevin's warmth was undeniable above me, but it wasn't overpowering. It wasn't that sweaty, anxious type of warmth. The kind that normal teenagers were supposed to have.

It was the sort of warmth where I knew that if I just... pulled him closer, I'd be burning like I was trapped inside a furnace. But I'd be just that.

The fire itself.

"I guess we'll see." He breathed out. His hands had trailed up my side by now, still over the material of my blouse, resting on my chest, brushing past my collarbone, and once again, at my neck. His hand tightened around my throat again, just as I brought his lips back to mine.