Chapter 14 - Bloom

Start from the beginning

You didn't hide your discontented face from your mother, but before you had the chance to speak up, Armin opened his mouth. You turned to face him and you noticed that his eyes had softened and that he continued to play with your fingertips. "We did, didn't we, Y/N?"

You didn't respond, still looking at him, hiding your face. Armin ignored the sadness in your eyes and smiled at your mother.

"That's great, you two seem very happy together."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

It was Friday after school, a week after Valentine's Day when you stood outside the library doors for your next tutoring shift. You had hoped that your conversation with Armin expressing your much-desired space would have him back off more. Unfortunately, it seemed to do the exact opposite. Between classes he would desperately try to walk you to every single one, making him late to a few of his. At lunch, he would pull you to the side and keep you away from all of your mutual friends. It was as if he was desperately trying to keep you in the palm of his hand and no one else was allowed to touch you.

Armin was planting kisses on your cheeks and forehead as Mikasa walked up to you awkwardly. "Uhh, hey you two," she said with a sigh of irritation and worry.

You were thankful to see her. It felt like you were being isolated with Armin acting as your walls. You pushed against his chest and felt some semblance of freedom. "Mikasa!" you greeted, a little too enthusiastically. "Ready to start our shift?" You tried to signal in your eyes that you wanted to get away from the boy behind you as soon as possible.

Thankfully, you had known Mikasa for nearly all your life and she picked up on your signals easily. "Oh, yeah! We better get going." With a gentle touch, she placed it on the small of your back and ushered you away from Armin. You could feel his glare shift from your body to Mikasa's face.

When you made it past the library doors, they closed with a tight slam behind you. It was nearly instantaneous for the tears you had held to start streaming down silently. You didn't have the energy to cry out loud. Mikasa was quick to move you to the side in hopes that any teachers or students would see you.

"Y/N, what's wrong? You looked terrified out there." Mikasa immediately began wiping your cheeks, waiting for your response.

"I'm just so tired of..." your voice trailed off. Your words were stuck at the back of your throat.

"Of school? Do you want to call in sick?"

"No!" you said a little too loudly for a library. You cringed, in hopes that no one would address you. "Don't make me go out there with him."

"With Armin? Are you tired of Armin?"

You sighed so heavily that your shoulders and chest dropped even further. "Yes. I feel like I can't breathe around him. I haven't even been able to see you for what feels like a month. He keeps telling me I'm all he needs. I've just felt so lonely and trapped." You sunk into Mikasa's arms again. You had grown to hate touches and any physical contact, but you felt safe with Mikasa.

You could hear Mikasa's quiet sobs. "I'm so sorry I didn't notice. I would have been there for you if I knew." She pulled away and wiped your new tears before wiping her own. "You need to leave him, Y/N."

You nodded before your mind could protest. Your words were opposite to how you were feeling. "He hasn't done anything to hurt me though. He's been nothing but nice and loving toward me. I don't think anyone else can make me feel like that."

Mikasa's head shook so violently that you thought her head was going to come off. "No. If he has you crying and avoiding him and isolating you, he's hurting you. No one that loves you would make you feel like this. He's trying to control you to make you feel like you don't need anyone else."