Chapter 26: Treasuring Memories

This is going to be so hard.

I stared down at my bed, examining the two sun dresses in front of me. "Hmmm, which dress do I think his mom would like better?"

I realize I'm probably overthinking this, and Beam keeps telling me not to worry, but this is going to be my first time meeting his parents. As a woman in my 30s, I know I shouldn't be anxious, but I haven't done something like this in a long time. The last time I met someone's parents was when I met James, and that was over 10 years ago.

Despite my nerves, I knew that I had to put on a good show for Beam's parents. I wanted them to like me and for them to see that I was a good fit for their son. I took a deep breath and made a decision, choosing one of the sun dresses and slipping it on. The dress I chose is a yellow ditsy floral with low shoulder puff sleeves. I checked myself in the mirror, smoothing down the fabric and making sure everything was in place. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door, determined to make a good impression and show Beam's parents that I was a somewhat strong and kind of capable woman who was worthy of their son's affection.

As I stepped outside, Beam was already waiting for me. He was dressed casually in a light blue hoodie, gray plaid pants, and all-white Converse. His hair looked nice, with some of it covering his eyes and his forehead peeking through.

"Oh! How long have you been waiting for me?" I didn't even get a text or call that he was here.

"Not long, but I didn't want to rush you because I know you're nervous."

I couldn't help but feel a little bit guilty that I had kept him waiting, but I appreciated his understanding and patience. I gave him a smile and a hug, grateful to have him by my side as we headed off to meet his parents. Regardless of my nerves, I was determined to be on my best behavior today. I knew that this was an important moment in our relationship and I wanted to make sure that everything went smoothly.

As we drove to his parents' house, I took a deep breath and tried to calm my nerves, knowing that everything would be alright as long as I had Beam by my side.

"I can hear your breathing," Beam spoke up. "Oh, sorry! Is it annoying?"

"Of course not! It's just making me anxious now too." Beam quickly glanced over at me, giving me a wide smirk.

"I know, I shouldn't be nervous, but I'm just not sure what to expect. I haven't done this in a while." I stared out the window of the car, watching the scenery pass by.

Beam reached over and placed his hand on my thigh. "Tabi, you worry too much. My parents don't know English that well, so there's not much for you to say that they'll actually understand. I'll translate everything, but I hope that makes you feel a little better."

"Wait, so your parents don't know English, but how does your sister know?"

"She studied abroad in America when she was in high school. I think she studied in Florida, but I could be wrong."

"I see," I said, still feeling a little nervous but grateful for Beam's reassurance. "Thanks for letting me know. I'll try not to worry too much and just focus on enjoying the visit."

Beam smiled and squeezed my thigh gently. "That's the spirit! And don't worry, my parents are really friendly and welcoming. You'll have a great time, I promise."

I nodded and took a deep breath, feeling a little more at ease. "Okay, I'll try to relax. Thanks for your support."

"No problem," Beam replied, giving me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before returning his hand to the steering wheel. "We'll be there probably in an hour."