Chapter 14: From Noodles to Nightlife

The following week I started doing research on volunteer work in Bangkok, and Ocean was right, there were a lot of volunteer programs here. I didn't even know where to start. To be honest, as long as I get hired I guess I'm not too picky, I do prefer a place in Bangkok and not somewhere far from it. They had plenty of programs to choose from, except the only problem was that the ones close by were for teaching English. I never really considered myself much of a teacher, but the requirements are pretty easy and I have all of them. Just speak English, and I know English, so I guess I can reach out to them.

I had so much free time that instead of applying online for volunteer work, it would be easier to go there in person and talk to someone. This was going to be my first time taking public transportation since the place was a bit far from the hostel. Okay, so 45 minutes on the same bus line. I can do that!

The area the volunteer building was in was definitely more in the city of Bangkok. There were a lot more business buildings around and overpasses surrounding the area. I tried dressing decently, wearing my favorite jean jacket with a black tank top underneath, black capris, and these pair of black gladiator sandals that I hardly wore. I even applied some makeup so that way no one would notice I had been crying.

The building was very fancy, it didn't seem like a place that would host volunteer work. I walked inside, it was nice and cool. I saw a woman sitting at the front desk and I approached her, "Hi, excuse me." She looked up from her computer, "Can I help you?" Jesus, you don't need to sound so impolite.

"Uh, Hi. Yes I was interested in applying for a volunteer English teaching position and wanted to know if there was a way I could apply and start immediately."

"You didn't apply online?"

"Ummm, no. I'd rather just do it in person." I tried to smile more than I usually do because this lady seemed to be in a foul mood. She did an exaggerated sigh, "Okay so you have to apply online. Once you apply it'll be about two weeks until you hear back from us. If approved there'll be a fee you'll have to pay, depending on how long you want to be in the program. Once you pay the fee, we'll then let you know which program you'll be assigned to. Is that clear?"

"Crystal. So I still have to wait two weeks? Regardless if I did it in person?" I was trying my hardest not to reach across the counter and smack this girl.

"Yes. Regardless." She gave me a quick smirk and reached over to the other side of her desk and grabbed a few papers. She continued on, "You can find more information in these pamphlets and if you have any other questions please call this number." I peered over at the papers she had given to me. It honestly just looked like the shit doctors give to you after you have a check-up appointment.

"Okay! Well, thanks for all your help today. Much appreciated." I tried saying that in the most sarcastic tone I could, and before I could hear another word out of her, I turned around and walked out.

God! What a bitch! I'm trying to volunteer for something and I'm not even asking for a lot either and she can't even be a little nicer. I started talking to myself, "... I don't need this shit right now. I'll find some other God damn place..." I didn't want to take the bus back right away because I knew that this whole trip would've been just a waste of my time and money. I decided to just walk around and see what I could find.

Out of the blue, I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket. I pulled it out and saw that Beth was calling me. She insisted that we had each other's numbers, though I didn't want to at first, I eventually caved in. I picked up the phone: