C H A P T E R 50

— • —

Chapter 50

Little by little, the one-sided battle between the demon king and the two started to turn the tables. Lian Ren has found the technique, but unfortunately, he doesn't know how to use it. He never even knew that he and his Shizun had a childhood memory together, so it's expected that he had forgotten about the incomplete technique.

He always thought to himself, Why was such a beautiful and warm technique dumped in the depths of his core, and why was it incomplete? Could it be connected to his relationship with his shogun? He wanted to know.

Lian Ren glanced at Shao Ling; fatigue was starting to show in his expression as he maintained the barrier. Lian Ren then turned to the demon king, who was about to strike his fiery whip. Lian Ren raised his hand, and demonic qi slightly flowed out on the tips of his fingers as he summoned a thick ice wall to separate the demon king from them.

He then turned to his Shizun, who collapsed on the floor. Shao Ling's face was starting to get red, and his breathing was heavy and hot as if his heat was starting to commence.

"Shizun, let's get you somewhere safe first." Lian Ren was about to carry him, but Shizun shook his head and lightly pushed him away.

"We cannot let the demon king outside the palace. There are still mortals imprisoned here. They might get caught up in the battle. We can't risk that just because of my heat."

Lian Ren heaved a heavy breath and frowned. "I don't care about those mortals! Shizun, you're more important to me!"

He didn't even care when his Shizun responded with an angry expression. To Lian Ren, the mortals here—the people as well as the demon king—are nothing but a subject of the dimension's particles. It's futile to feel sentimental toward them.

Lian Ren was taken aback when his Shizun spoke in a raged tone, "Did this Shizun teach you to be this merciless? To discard the importance of life?"

"But Shizun—"

"Just let me be here," Shao Ling replied with a sigh. "Although I am useless right now, I'll still prove my worth by helping you somehow. I promise I won't be a dead weight to you."

"I never thought of Shizun like that!" Lian Rem insisted. "This disciple is just worried about you."

Lian Ren flinched when Shao Ling patted his head. His Shizun's lips curled into a small smile as he spoke soft words of encouragement: "Silly, I'll be fine. Now go do a good job for yourself."

"......Mmn."

As he turned around to his Shizun, the thick wall of ice was already melted by the blazing fire coming from the demon king. The demon's face was frustrated as he stomped in Lian Ren's direction. Lian Ren stayed still in his position, remaining in front of his Shizun to keep him safe from the hooligan.

"You're slowly getting on my nerves, human." The demon king murmured in a deadly voice as soon as he stopped in front of Lian Ren.

"Should I be thankful for your compliment?" Lian Ren replied in a shrugging tone.

The demon growled, followed by a claymore of fire striking from his hand. Lian Ren immediately summoned a sword made of ice to parry the attack, but the ice immediately melted from the heat of the fire, leaving his hand to hold onto the heat of the claymore's blade.

Shao Ling wanted to stand up and help his disciples, but the heat only made him worse and more vulnerable. He tried to take out his nearly empty spiritual qi, but only a wisp of energy flowed out of his palms. Shao Ling hurriedly opened his spatial ring, infused the last energy he had in the golden talismans, and threw it in the demon king's direction.