C H A P T E R 4 0

— • —

Chapter 40

Looking back at reality, the nine-tailed fox was completely unconscious. Because of the recalled memories that the nine-tailed fox is seeing, he wasn't able to fully control his divine energy that was directed at Lian Ren's consciousness. Shao Ling thought that it was the best opportunity to do what he needed to do.

Carefully lying Lian Ren down on the floor, he rested his palms on Lian Ren's chest and closed his eyes, digging deep into his spiritual core to help him regain his consciousness. The azure blue spiritual qi leaked out of his palms and penetrated inside Lian Ren's core.

Digging through a cultivator's core is a very risky decision. Because it is equivalent to facing the full potential of the cultivator's power. Shao Ling knew about this, but he also knew that it was the only way to make Lian Ren regain his consciousness as soon as possible, considering that he was trapped in a divine trial of delusion made by the nine-tailed fox.

Inside, his core was surprisingly cozy, not cold. This is why Shao Ling was surprised as soon as he went inside Lian Ren's core. However he tried to find Lian Ren's consciousness, but he couldn't find it. Time had already run out, and the azure blue energy had already dissipated from his palms, but Shao Ling didn't give up and inserted another set of energy in his palms and penetrated the qi inside.

With his determination and valor to succeed, His spiritual qi dug deeper inside than he thought. And what Shao Ling saw was a cold place filled with spiky ice and a frozen floor. Even a slight contact from the ice can give him a frostbite. But Shao Ling kept going and went to find Lian Ren's consciousness inside. Shao Ling was getting more and more frostbite as he moved forward on the cold path. Until he heard a murmur somewhere in the blizzard and sensed the sound, he followed it.

The more he gets closer, the more the blizzard and ice turn even colder, to the point that Shao Ling's fingertips are starting to freeze. The sound of a sobbing child first echoed throughout the place. And after a while, a deep murmuring voice resonated amid the blizzard.

"....zun."

"....... sorry...."

"I'm sorry......"

"Shizun..."

Shao Ling felt a sharp pain in his chest. He bit his lip and knitted his brows as he continued to go closer. The continuous apology in Lian Ren's consciousness gave him stabbing pain in his chest. Although he wanted to stop and close his eyes to take a deep breath, Shao Ling chose to move forward and shove his weakness away.

Shao Ling was expecting the blizzard to go even rougher as he passed by the barrier, but what greeted him was a quiet space of water in the center. Shao Ling stared down at the water where he was walking. From the looks of it, it seemed like the ice melted inside the space and turned into water. In the center of the water lies a blue wisp that is floating still. The wisp was trembling and slightly swirling as if it were suffering and trying to escape from somewhere.

Shao Ling was about to take the wisp when another voice of Lian Ren resonated from the blue wisp: "I never meant to hurt you."

"Shizun, I don't want to hurt you."

"If you hate me, I won't know what to do."