C H A P T E R 1 0

— • —

Chapter 10

The deadly scent of the exotic air radiated throughout the Ghost City. Lian Ren glowed at the sight of the gate and the upside-down faces carved on the pitch-black wood. Back in his past life, he once came to the Ghost City of the Gluttony Ghost, and it was a nightmare. Every ghost that was seen was so evil, as they tried to kill and eat each other.

Thinking about it and how Shao Ling was brought to a city like this, a hot feeling of anger surfaced on Lian Ren's chest as he pressed his lips together and lifted his gaze at the tall buildings of the Ghost City from afar. He was about to enter the gate because he felt a little bit impatient when Xin Mei pulled his wrist back to his place and spoke.

"Shidi, you can't be hasty right now. You're not strong enough to just barge inside the ghost city and take Shizun out. What if the stealth necklace doesn't work and both of us get killed because we're outnumbered by ghosts?" Xin Mei's thin and slick brows knitted into a deep frown as she continued to speak. "We can't just be reckless. We can't save Shizun if we don't do this properly."

Lian Ren was about to say that he could easily wipe out the weak ghosts inside the Ghost City, but he immediately remembered that he needed to hide the fact that he had a demonic core inside of him besides his spiritual core. So Lian Ren only closed his eyes and heaved a breath before opening them again and standing properly as he glanced at Xin Mei, who was finally showing a satisfied smile.

"Good job, Shidi. Wait for me; it will just take a short amount of time."

Xin Mei glued her palms together and closed her eyes as she hummed incantation words. A glowing purple light illuminated between her palms, and Xin Mei slowly opened her palms, showing an average-sized purple butterfly with an outline of black materializing out of both hands. The large wings of the black and purple butterfly fluttered slowly as it faced Xin Mei's direction while she ordered, "Look for Shizun."

The black and purple butterfly stared at her for a bit before slowly flying upwards, the shimmers of its traces showing as it glowed up in the pitch-black, empty sky. Xin Mei and Lian Ren took a glance at each other before finally walking past the gate of the Ghost City. As they continued to walk, Xin Mei initiated a conversation while they waited for the butterfly. "From what I have read in the book, there are seven cities in the Demon Realm." Xin Mei rested her hand on her chin as she pondered and spoke, "And there are also seven deadly sins. The Gluttony Ghost was the one we met earlier. So we must be at the City of Baoshi."

( Baoshi means gluttony.)

Lian Ren wanted to agree with Xin Mei, but he remembered that he didn't read books at the Yun Sect library back when he was young. He let Xin Mei talk to herself for a while and shifted his gaze to the busy ghosts on the streets. A strong scent of alcohol and cigarettes is in the air, mixed with the strong stench of blood. Loud laughter and curses were heard all over the city of Baoshi. Some ghosts were fighting to death, ghosts who mind their own business, ghosts who filled themselves with greed, and ghosts drunk in lust.

The Seven Deadly Sins were created when the very first Demon King from the underworld realm was born, coming from the negative energies and impurities of the living. The first Demon King was very powerful because he was the only one who could absorb negative qi and impurities from the living. Until one time, the Demon King decided to share his power by summoning seven deadly people based on the worst sins they had created. Therefore, the Demon King called them the Seven Deadly Sins.

The Seven Deadly Sins were ghosts, so they could not stay in the Underworld Realm and resided in the Demon Realm. At that time, the souls of the living were only roaming around the Demon Realm, not knowing what to do and only waiting for a reincarnation in case the God of Death permitted it. The Seven Deadly Sins established their cities all over the Demon Realm and gathered all of the souls that they could find to make them their subordinates.