Chapter XXV - The Vampire

Start from the beginning

I was surprised he made it down the street.

Arriving to Raeden's house, standing just at the edge of the front yard, I shuddered at the rush of tension that ran up my spine. Raeden must've carried so much it left a large amount behind. I could feel his distress, and pretty soon... I would find him, too.

Fredwolf opened the front door, a worried look on his face. I couldn't tell if he was just nervous because both Demiesius and I were here when there was no doubt that if either of us died, all ties with the Public would be cut off with a sense of revenge toward humans, leaving the world to quiver at the hands of vampires, or if he was dealing with a great amount of worry because his son had been taken hostage... by his own father.

The second guess was probably more accurate if you put yourself in his shoes.

"You two are the most stubborn vampires in the world," he said, shaking his head and then moved aside to let us in.

"What can I say," I shrugged, "We're creatures that barely listen to orders... given by anyone else."

Demiesius continued down a long hallway that stretched before reaching the stairs. He walked the area as if this were his house, already knowing what doors led to what rooms, and when he reached the end of the hall he turned a corner into what I guessed to be a den.

Fredwolf and I followed suit and stood in the vacant archway. Demiesius was standing before a low table and knelt down.

I looked to his fingers to see what it was that drew his attention and noticed a fairly large amount of blood on the table. By its scent I could tell it wasn't Raeden's, while his was A positive, this one was B positive, and since I had a good feel of what type Julius was, it could only belong to Stella.

Demiesius poked his finger in the blood and brought it to his lips, tasting the contents. A look formed on his face, eyes clenched thoughts seeming to be flicking through his mind. I could only imagine what he was seeing. If I was right, given my knowledge of Elders, Demiesius was seeing through Stella's eyes right about now, seeing whatever she was looking at in this moment.

Opening his eyes I knew he'd locked our next target.

"Across the Marcus River; in the distance directly a ways from there in the center of the river there's that old broken down bridge. I can tell where they are but not exactly."

Fredwolf gasped, "I know where they are. I used to sneak away there with old friends. They have to be at the chambers."

Chambers?

Fredwolf answered my question. "There used to be an underground building beneath the surface used by the city when it was first established back in the early 20's just in case of any atomic disasters. It stopped being used after the Cold War was put to rest, so it became a cool place for teens. Julius must've taken it over and has plans to use it for something else. If anything, he's using it to hide something. It's probably even the place Raeden told me he runs off to all the time."

"Well," I turned for the front of the house, "Looks like we're about to find out."

Once I made it halfway down the hall and switched my eyes to the door, two shadows could be seen getting closer. I didn't react because I wanted to see who they were and to know what they wanted.

The door was thrust open by a young man and a woman I could only guess was Stella. She was limping faultily, and I silently hoped Raeden was the one who made her that way. The young man was dressed in black clothing and a trench coat, Stella in her slayer attire with a bandage wrapped snugly around her lower leg, small amounts of blood still seeping out. But one thing that came off as... interesting, was that in their possession were crossbows.