Chapter XXIV - The Slayer

After Dom was in the shower, I stepped back from the bathroom and crossed the bedroom for my clothing I was wearing before and dressed. If I was going to stay here with Dom I'd need my belongings, and though I wouldn't bring everything, I at least wanted more clothing and my Hamilton stake that I'd left at the house. Julius didn't deserve to have it?

When I had my shoes on, I fixed the laces and took hold of the suite's door knob. Should I tell Dom first that I was leaving, where I was going? But what if he didn't let me go and I did need more stuff. It's not like I'd take forever.

Given the time, it was likely Julius either wasn't home or headed to bed, giving me the opportunity to sneak through my bedroom window from the backyard, gather what was essential and head back. I'd be in and out in two minutes flat.

I closed the door quietly behind me and descended the hall for the stairs. As I passed Demiesius' office I stopped for a brief moment, sticking my head inside to see if he was in there and as usual... he was.

He was standing behind his desk with something that looked like an urn on top of it. "What are you doing?" I couldn't help but wonder.

Demiesius looked over at me after setting the lid on the urn. "I was just giving Nathaniel the respect he is worthy of by placing his remains in something that would hold them. He may not have been my Child by Night, but he was Dominick's close comrade, therefore imperative to someone."

"Oh," I nodded, "That's very nice of you, Demiesius."

"Yes." He wrinkled his brow at me, "Where are you heading off to? After what happened, I got the impression you weren't going anywhere."

"I'm just — just gonna go get a few things. I left Hamilton's stake back at my place, so I need that and some fundamentals to bring here."

Suddenly I found my eyes wandering his office, and they landed on a trunk settled beside Demiesius desk. It was the same trunk that was filled with Hamilton's belongings, the place Julius had given me Hamilton's weapons to be my own.

What could this vampire seriously want with them?

I didn't feel the question was necessary since I didn't have much time to get to my house. Dom would be out of the shower in a few minutes if he wasn't sobbing in the shower like I expected him to; crying over the events that have recently gone on.

His sadness would strangely buy me more time.

"Hey, Demiesius—?" I sucked the question back when I looked back at him and identified a drop of blood trickle down his pale cheek.

Was he crying too?

Why?

"Um... never mind. But if Dom comes to you asking about me, could you possibly tell him I went home for a second. I should be back in at least twenty minutes."

He nodded without a word so I took it as confirmation and left him, moving down to the lobby in a wonder as to what was going on. Nothing could just be... right. With the slaying of Nate and the obvious bizarre behavior endured by my family, the Rogue and the assembly of Hamilton's trainees with Julius and their children, Stella and Bobby, I was more than grateful my dad wasn't on terms with them. He worked for the high ranking Public so all of this business was likely on his shoulders as a member.

I was proud to be his son.

I glanced across the lobby before stepping outside only to notice a puddle of fresh blood across the room. Dom had told me he was attacked by... nothing in particular, so I made an accurate guess that it was his. With how much there was I knew it hurt, I just hoped he'd find the location of this "torture" like he said he would so we can leave. I don't know where we'd go, but it'd be far from here.