Chapter XVI - The Slayer

It was assuring to know my father was around now. Julius and Jackson hadn't argued with me in hours, whereas on a regular day I'd have been fussed at least six times in less than half a day for doing something. Little did I know my peaceful lifestyle would be crushed in only a matter of nights.

I was lying comfortably in the living room watching the old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when my father descended the stairs. He'd gotten back a little over a half hour ago, and there was something in his demeanor that set me off. I couldn't tell what it was that was bothering him, but when I caught sight of the lugging duffel bag in his grasp... my stomach dropped.

Shooting up from the sofa, I stood watching him with indecision. "Dad..." my voice was soft and defenseless, "Dad, where are you going?"

He looked over at me, an apology in his eyes. "Raeden," he began with a sigh, "I'm afraid I cannot stay any longer. My duty was to deliver a message, and now that it is done, I must be on my way."

"What. No, please, don't go. You don't under—."

"Son, I'm truly sorry; I know this visit was short and unexciting, but I have the Public to get back to. They're expecting me back any moment now."

I glanced towards the stairs, watching to see if Jackson or Julius would come down. When all was clear I approached my father. "Dad, please, I beg of you, don't go. Things are different with you here. They... they yell at me all the time... They don't like me like you think they do. Jackson and I fight constantly, and Julius is drowning me in demands. If you leave they'll—."

"Raeden, don't do this. As much as I want to stay to make sure you're in good hands, the Public will not let me stay behind. I must get back to my responsibilities."

My eyes burned with tears hidden by the dimness of the house. He was going to leave when I needed him most. What kind of father is that? A busy one...

Letting my eyes fall from his gaze, I watched his feet back away from me after placing a reassuring hand on my head. I sniffled with sorrow when I heard the front door open, my father's shadow looming over me before it closed.

He was leaving me... again.

I stood there wallowing in my own grief for what was to come. After I heard my dad's car start up and the headlights pan through the window before disappearing, I turned to march upstairs, not planning on staying any longer than I had to in this house filled with people bent on controlling my life.

"Dad," I heard Jackson from his room, "you there...?"

"He's gone!" I yelled, slamming my door.

I went for my closet and pulled on a pair of black skinnies and a fitting graphic t-shirt before stuffing on my Converse shoes. When I opened my door, Jackson was standing in the frame with a smile on his smug face. "And where do you think you're going?" he said so heartily it disturbed me.

I growled up at him, "Move."

He stood still, not budging when I tried to get passed. "Jackson; get out of my way!"

"Not before you tell me where you're going. What if I need you tonight? Since you don't have your cell phone, I'll need a way to get a hold of you."

"Just move!"

"Oh, I know," he grinned, "You're going to that boyfriend's house, aren't you?"

"Jackson, I don't want to hurt you. Get out of my way."

"Did you hear that Julius!" he called out in the center of the hall now, my heart dropping into the pit of my stomach. "Raeden's going to see his boyfriend."