Chapter XIX - The Vampire

Nate and I stood incredulous as Raeden rose from his knelt position beside the Rogue's body. We stood there the whole time, watching in admiration as he defeated his opponent. Someone deserves more than a pat on the back.

Crossing the darkly lit street to get to the other side, I said, "I sure am glad you're not going after me anymore."

Raeden looked up at the sound of my voice, switching his surprisingly mournful gaze from Nate to me. His dejection was confusing. Hadn't he just conquered the Rogue? What was there to be upset over?

As I continued to near Raeden, his conduct changed drastically. He was no longer how I saw him before, raging with stamina or even a hint of tension. Instead, his being was filled with nothing but purified sorrow. I touched his face softly when he was close enough and he suddenly drove himself against my chest, his fingers crawling for comfort at the back of my shirt.

An intense sob rose from his fragile lungs and he looked up at me with shimmering tears in his gray eyes. "He wants me dead!" he wailed in absolute sadness.

He could only be one person.

I motioned for Nate to scoop up the Rouge while I tried to soothe Raeden. "I know," I said, "I went to see him." Julius.

He fisted my shirt on his tight hands, "Did you kill him? Tell me you ripped him to shreds. I hate him, and I want to see him suffer the way he let me."

I kissed the top of his head, "Things will change."

"How can you be so sure?"

"You wouldn't turn your back on the person who saved your life, would you?"

He showed confusion, and said, "What do you mean?"

I laughed to myself, "Supposedly, you kicked some major vampire ass to save Jackson and Julius from being killed. It's likely when you get home you'll be showered in thank you's. Trust me, Raeden. Julius won't put his hands on you again. I was sure of it."

"You..." Raeden stuttered looking up at me, "You fought for me?"

"After seeing you come to me as you were... because of Julius, why wouldn't I? I love you, Raeden. I'll do anything for you, even if it means scarring your grandfather and brother for life." I laughed, "Let's just say those vampires you killed handed it to them pretty badly."

I kissed his head and looked up to meet the gaze of the Rouge, only to receive a punch to the stomach. I staggered a little and looked down at Raeden in confusion. "That's for knocking me out after I told you not to go," he said, "Although, I'm glad you did," he pointed a dangerous finger in my face, "Don't do it again."

I smiled down at him and raised my right hand. "I, Dominick von Kraige, vow to never do anything without your consent."

Raeden beamed and I looked down to where Nate had thrown Rouge to the ground. The man landed at my feet and looked up at me with a bloody face. Only then did I take notice of how badly Raeden beat him. "Let's see here," I said, kneeling before him.

By the looks of it, he was about the age of mid-thirties. He had shoulder length blond hair, and was fairly built with a strong face... if the scars weren't there. I pushed his hair out of his face, and grasped the front of his shirt, "What is your name."

He answered quickly, "Bobby."

"Bobby, what?"

"Bobby Colebrook. I already told Raeden that Julius sent me after-."

I covered his mouth with my hand, mulling over the name Colebrook. My memory was good... sometimes, but I was more than sure I'd heard the name before... but where?