Chapter III - The Vampire

I laughed to myself knowing how fast Raeden's heart was pounding by the time I left him. And yes, he was just that obvious. All humans are actually; their heart rate changes whenever they feel a new emotion, and his was a little too unstable to ignore. I was contradicting myself for not taking his life, but the fact was that I wanted to toy with him a little more before I end things. He'll be fun while it lasts.

Taking the silent elevator to the second floor of my condominium, I cracked a smile remembering how Raeden seemed to be enjoying the proximity of my lips against his neck. He was breaking every rule a slayer had... Could it be true that he was one of the best? Making mistakes like that made me think he's just a regular kid with a tendency to threaten lives.

But he was no threat to me; I've already got that down. Now all I had to do was get to bed before the sun came up. The last time I stayed up past dawn, I ended up bleeding out all over my flooring. I'd have to get this kid out of my head for at least a couple hours, but I'll be sure to annoy him when night falls once more. I'm far from being through with him. His game is... entertaining to say the least.

And now that I've got his scent, he'll be much easier to find with his concentrated tension.

* * * *

I awoke from my massive king-sized bed and lay there under the covers until sleep decreased the weariness in my body. I pushed the comforter from me and turned out of bed in just my black underwear. When I was up and aware, I moved to the walk-in closet, worked out a pair of dark jeans, a sweater and a black trench coat stuffed at the back of my rack of clothing, and dressed for the night. After I had my hair tamed... except for the bothersome curl in my face, I scrubbed my teeth including my fangs. It was a good thing I didn't have to shave anymore.

My cell phone buzzed on the side table next to my sofa in the lounge area when I left the bathroom. Just when I took my cell in my hand, the iron guards blocking the sun during the daytime rose from each window, something I was grateful to have. If not, I'd have burnt to a crisp years ago.

"Hello?" I answer the phone call.

"Dominick Von Kraige, my good, good, good, good, good—."

"I get it, Nathaniel. What is it?"

Nathaniel's glee through the phone could make anyone wonder what he could be up to this early in the night. He went on, "You know what tonight is, don't you?" Not up for wasting my time guessing, I waited for him to spill the news. "It's Sovereign Kedrik's Bicentenary, you know what that means?" Again I waited for him to go on. "It's vampire night, meaning every immortal establishment will be freakin' wild as hell tonight. They're serving free blood shots down at Hex's V-Nish Bar, and I'm looking for a good time. Wanna come. Everything's free tonight?"

It would be a lot better than checking in with Demiesius. "Don't you think we're a little old for parties?" I said.

Nate huffed, "Oh, come on, if you look at it in years, of course we're old, but in appearance we're only twenty two. Get out, Dom; live a little."

"That's pretty hard when you're already dead."

"Are you gonna come or not? I can always ask someone else."

"Alright, you got me. When are we headed out? I'd like to get out of my place already. Let's say around... now?"

"Yup, I'll be over to pick you up in..." There was a knock at my front door, and when I opened the door, Nate was there to say, "... a second." He was dressed in white shorts that stopped mid-thigh and a frayed violet cropped shirt. He was the epitome of a twink if ever there was one. With his dyed blond hair styled back and long stockings stretched high out of his black boots, his pretty East Asian face smiled with a happiness he never failed to show. As my best mate, he was surely one of my favorite and most beloved people in the world.