Chapter XXV - The Vampire

By the tenth time I tried Raeden's cell and there was no answer, I was starting to wonder what was taking him so long. I'd asked Demiesius if he happened to know anything, but all he said was Raeden went home to get a few things since he wanted to stay with me. Thoughts of what could be holding him back bothered me; things that had to do with Julius, things that had to do with Stella. What if they'd gotten to him in some harsh way... keeping him from me?

I couldn't sit at home anymore. I had to find him.

I made it out of my suite and Demiesius' voice entered my mind, commanding me to his office. I sighed, having more important things in my mind, but seeing as I couldn't deny him, I descended the hall, opened his door and went inside.

There was a look in his eyes I couldn't pinpoint, but as I neared his desk and his hands came into view, a cellphone caught my eye. He held it to me so I took it... with caution. and put it to my ear. "Hello?"

Fredwolf's voice came from the other line, "I can't get a hold of Raeden; is he there with you. No one's here at the house."

Worry engulfed me. "He was, but he went back while I was in there shower. I've been trying to reach him since."

"Fuck..." he sounded in a whisper, "No sign of Julius either. I found blood here at the house, too. Foul play was definitely involved to some extent."

"Stella. That bitch! She and Julius took him, I know they did. I'm going to hunt them down for as long as it takes. I'll have their last breaths."

"No," Fredwolf objected through the phone. "I'll find them; leave it to me."

"You really think I'm just going to sit here while they're out there doing who knows what to Raeden?" I hope not. "I'm not staying here; whether you like it or not... I'm going to find him."

Fredwolf's voice rose, "Can't you see that's what they want? They're using Raeden as a luring device. If you go, they'll kill you."

"I'd like to see them try."

Demiesius' cut in, "There's blood at the scene?" He must've been listening in with his heightened hearing.

I nodded, "Yes, why?"

"If my abilities prove worthy, I may be capable of locating them on behalf of whoever's blood is there. Three thousand years gives me an advantage."

That'll be enormously helpful. "Fredwolf, we're on our way."

He wasn't happy about it, and I understood his reason. This very well may be a trap Julius has set up to finally accomplish taking me out to get to Demiesius, but right about now... I could care less about my life. My love for Raeden was far greater than anyone could imagine; they just don't understand what he means to me. I may have a beatless heart, but it still carries my burdens when I don't have the strength. Raeden Dalton, son of Fredwolf Dalton, and true successor to Hamilton H. Hamilton is my lifeline. I would rather die for him to live out his days than to go on knowing I let his life slip between my fingers, perceptive that I could have stopped it all.

If I do happen to die, however, I know for a fact that my death would not be in vain. I would be setting Raeden free, and with that my vampire race. Demiesius would not stop his rage until he was satisfied, and that satisfaction would be gained directly from Julius himself, to have his withering body lying face down in a puddle of his own blood.

Either way, something would be gained.

It was the first time Demiesius had ever stepped foot out of his office, moreover, the Association building in what seemed like years. Given he now fed from either willing human or blood bags delivered with fresh blood, he had no reason to leave. His life revolved around the Association; this just happened to be a time worth stepping out.