Chapter XII - The Slayer

It was a little past one in the morning when I awoke. I couldn't remember falling asleep in the first place, but clearly had since I was curled up in bed. For a while I tried to just close my eyes and go back to sleep, but the weariness that must've filled me earlier had vanished.

I tugged the covers of my blanket over my head, and stuffed my face in my pillow. "Go to sleep," I groaned to myself.

Listening through my coverings, I heard my bedroom door open. "Get up, Raeden," Julius' voice came.

I peeked out from under and saw anger in his eyes. What could I have possibly done now? "Am I in trouble?" I questioned.

"Just get up, now."

I rolled out of bed, my bare feet touching the carpeted floor. I followed Julius out of my room, stepping into the hallway. We moved further down to his bedroom and then stopped before going in. I leaned up against the wall and crossed my arms. Julius motioned towards the door, "What's wrong with this picture?" he said.

Confused in not knowing if his question was rhetorical, I looked over the door, not finding anything off about it. "Should something be wrong?" I asked, "Is this a trick question?"

Suddenly he raised his voice, quaking my bones. "Someone broke into the house while you were busy sleeping!"

"Are you serious? How is that even possible. I'm a light sleeper!" I was on guard, "What did they take?"

"Apparently you're a heavy sleeper if some fanger can break in, destroy my door, and take off with the chest filled with Hamilton's things."

My blood pressure rose. Dom. It had to be him. He actually broke into my house under my nose. It bothered me roughly that Nathaniel could be right. He was working against me. "Sonofabitch," I said, half remorseful and half meaning it. However, no matter how much I wanted to deny that Dom would go against me, I said, "How do you know it was really a vampire?"

The question was foolish, but Julius was willing to give me an answer.

He dragged me by my arm to the computer room, another room down the hall he spent more time in than any other. When he shoved me in the room, I looked down at the monitor screen and on it was the image of the front of the house. Julius fiddled with the mouse and clicked on the play button. And right there was enough proof for me. A few months back he'd installed a security camera at the front door. It wasn't easily seen from the porch light disguising it, and when Julius played it out, Dom and Nathaniel's faces were known to me.

My heart turned black and blue, my trust in him was fading each time he continued to cross me. Our love was bad enough, I didn't want to always deal with his torments on my heart.

Thrusting my inner feelings aside, I pointed out, "How come it shows they moved in on Jackson, but all you're doing is talking to me like it's all my fault? I get that two freakin' vampires broke in, but why does all the blame go on me? From the looks of it, it doesn't look like they even put up a fight—."

"The blonde vampire set him under a charm. They erased Jackson's memory of everything that happened after he opened the door."

"What makes you think they didn't do the same to me?"

"Because you were tucked nicely in that bed, and Jackson was tossed out on the couch."

That must explain it then, how I woke up in my bed. Dom must have took me to my room and put me there. I wondered for a moment of what he was thinking when he charmed me into submission. I wondered about what I saw in him before he did it. Though, just the thought of him coming into my life, and the possibility that Nathaniel may be right about Dom using me for Demiesius to get his ancient hands on Hamilton's belongings, I wasn't happy when Dom's name crossed my mind. He'd betrayed me in one of the most discourteous ways.