Chapter II - The Slayer

That bastard! Who the hell does he think he is? I bet he thinks I'm scared of him or something. I may not be a very daunting person on the outside, but I'm one of the most talented slayers in the world. I am the Raeden Dalton. The nerve of him to talk to me like that without putting up a fight. That stupid, egotistical, overconfident, conceited little son-of-a-mother of...God he was so hot.

I sighed in thought and told myself to shut up, to just continue with my walk home, but every time I tried to focus my mind on something else, I found my reflections right back onto that vampire. I never wanted to kill a vampire so badly; I could just go back to Jude's Square and drive my stake so far into his chest.

I stopped in the middle of the street on my journey across the crosswalk. I stared down at the white line intersecting the road and closed my eyes. His face was at the front of my mind, and I wanted him gone, I wanted that stern attractive gleam in his eyes to vanish.

Get out of my head!

I didn't want to think of him anymore. He was just some foolhardy immortal who deserved to be staked... or at least slapped. Touching me like he's got the privilege of being my boyfriend. Just that word pissed me off.

Boyfriend.

How repulsive.

Continuing my walk, I moved down Pitts Avenue and snagged the backpack I kept hidden on the other side of a bush outside of Kitz Coffee Shop. When I had it in hand, I dropped my utility belt inside, stuffed my mask in the front pocket, and slung my arms in the straps.

I wonder what his name is. To me he looked like he'd maybe have a deep dark name that matched his persona. Something like Nicholas, or maybe Jason or Vincent. Something that sounds a bit powerful.

Am I really doing this to myself? I'm better off going back to where he was, making out with him for a good minute... hour... few hours, and he'd be out of my head for sure. I skipped a step, swearing to myself about considering such irreverence. If I were to do anything like that, I might as well string my neck, because my grandfather Julius would likely do it anyways. He'd disown me as his relative if I ever betrayed him for a vampire.

Like I would!

Calming my insides I waved a thank you to a driver letting me cross Second Street to the neighborhood, and jogged the rest of the way to my house. I lived with my grandfather, and my nineteen year old brother Jackson. We moved in with him when my father joined the Public (The Slayer Public) just over a few weeks ago. We all joined the Slayer Public though, for one reason alone: to avenge the death of Julius' wife and daughter-in-law, who were my grandmother, and my mother.

Both killed by vampires.

And that's exactly what I reminded myself. For all I know, he could be the one who ruined my family. It's a good thing I have a good sense of judgment. If not, I'd probably be thrusting about in his bed all night... yeah, all night.

I cursed taking out my house key to unlock the front door, but came to a complete stop when I just realized what had happened tonight. That immortal made me lose my kill. Now what am I going to tell Julius when I get inside? He'll know I didn't get a kill, because I hadn't given a call to Jackson to tell him so. We were both supposed to be hunting that vampire girl. Now that I lost her, there's no way Jackson reached her before she went into hiding.

Irritating vampire, now I'm sure to have it.

When I stepped inside the house, I closed the door silently behind me, locked it, and tried to get to the stairs before anyone noticed my return. But, as I thought, before I even made it past the first step, Julius, the one thought to succeed Hamilton since he was trained by the best, turned in from the kitchen area, addressing me with his customary look of 'how did the killing go?'