Chapter XX - The Slayer

I dried my hair after stepping out of the shower and wrapped the towel around my waist. Last night, after I got home when Dom rudely commanded me to leave...was amazing. Julius and Jackson, though in mistaken circumstances, showered me with love I've never known from them. I was welcomed with brilliant smiles and gratitude; almost believed that they truly were like they had acted that way all the time. I wished from the bottom of my heart that we always treated each other the way we did until everyone went to bed, but I knew it wouldn't last. Soon, things would be back to the way they were and I wasn't looking forward to that.

When I was dressed, pulling on a fresh pair of purple boxer-briefs, faded skinnies and a plain loose flannel shirt, I rustled my damp dark hair and straightened it out.

From the bottom of my door I could smell something delicious... bacon. Breakfast? Julius hadn't cooked breakfast since the death of my grandmother, when they used to cook together. Mmm, French toast, sunny-side-up eggs with bacon and if he's feeling generous, even sausage links. My stomach was growling already, mouth watering.

I had to get down there.

After tugging on a pair of socks I headed down stairs. Jackson was in the center of the living room with the cocktail table pushed to the side, and he was going through his usual morning stretch routine. Rounding through the dining room on the right, the scent of delicious chow grew stronger, and when I stepped in, Julius was just sliding the last French toast on a plate with six others.

"Morning, Raeden," he said kindly, "Go ahead and make your plate."

And boy did I. I snagged two French toast, three strips of bacon, one long sausage link, two sunny-side up eggs, and poured myself a tall glass of chilled orange juice. I savored the taste of the scrumptious meal, trying to make it last before the moments would vanish.

Spreading a bit more syrup on my French toast I forked in a mouth full and chewed like a hungry man. After I wiped my mouth, I turned around in my chair at the sound of the front door knob jiggling. Jackson and I waited staring down the door and were utterly surprised to see my father move inside... with Colebrook in his grasp.

Shock filled me in seeing Colebrook again. He'd likely draw Julius' memory back, back to when he called Colebrook on me for punishment.

Kindness... goodbye.

"Father," dad said, thrusting Colebrook towards the living room. He was still beaten and battered, restrained by a belt binding his wrists together. "Father, where are you; I need to speak with you right now." His voice hinted at anger.

Julius moved past me slipping off the oven mitts he was using to take biscuits out of the oven with. "Son—," he said bewildered when seeing Colebrook. And here we go. "...good morning. What's going on?"

My dad burst, "You know exactly what's going on! Don't play innocent with me. What honestly compelled you to send this sonofabitch after all those slayers?"

Julius turned slightly to toss the mitts on the dining room table, landing on top of my food. And there it went. In a voice that sounded of pure untainted irritation, Julius turned his back on my dad. "Get that man out of my house."

My dad wasn't having it. "Don't you dare turn your back on me after you turned your back on the Public! You are the only real traitor here." He shook his head with wholesome disappointment. "I am ashamed to even call you my father any more. You've committed the ultimate crime among the Slayer Public, handing yourself a death sentence."

Julius' eyes dogged his son, and for a moment I wished my uncle Maxwell was here to break them up. He was the proper son that was always competent in separating them, but with him not here, I feared things would only escalate, because I sure as hell wasn't about to intercept them. They'd squash me like a nat.