Chapter XXIV - The Slayer

Start from the beginning

As soon as I made it to the house my footsteps became quiet. I deemed it silly for me to have to sneak into the place I called home, the place I used to be thrilled to visit when I was a small child. I shouldn't be frightened of Julius, but for some reason I felt sensing something off with him was necessary, especially right now.

The house was dark on the inside, no light could be determined as on; then again, Julius spent time in the den not the living room. So relying on a light source at the front of the house was kind of ridiculous.

I made time my biggest option and headed for the side of the house, scaling over the fence as quietly as I could. I cursed in my head when the wires clanged, but tiptoed from the area as fast as my hushed steps would take me.

Making it to the back terrace, I listened for any movement that may be coming from the kitchen, taking a chance at peering along the frame of the back door. There was no one in sight.

Scanning my options I looked up in the direction of my window, second floor at an angle on the roof.

After checking for anyone inside again, I darted by the door, feeling like a super spy, and turned this quest into something of the sort. If I looked at this as some kind of game, I may finish faster. Like this was just an ordinary everyday thing.

Sneaking around... which it pretty much was.

There was a trash bin along the back wall of the house placed beside iron laced pillars holding up the porch's covering.

Steadying the trash bin, I hopped on top and leveled up the iron laces, sticking my feet in the openings so I could climb.

I felt like I was climbing up a massive building like a superhero, feeling awesome as I did so.

Once I made it on top of the porch, I took cautious steps up the roof's summit, the slant having me walk at an angle.

I was glad I never locked my window and shoved the glass open, ducking to get inside, and climbed over the top of my desk.

I made it.

Going for the closet, I grabbed the small backpack I kept my utilities and replaced the weaponry with clothes, a few shirts and a few pairs of pants, socks, and underwear. Zipping the bag shut I slung my arms through the straps and searched for what I'd really come for. The Hamilton stake.

I cursed when I couldn't find it; I always kept it on my dresser; however, I still wanted something even if that was my top priority. I buckled my stake holster at my ankle under my pants leg, tucking another useful stake that was bundled from the chest Julius had given me the wooden one from. It would be just as functional as the other.

Fixing my pants I examined the room for anything else useful but just settled with what I had. Wait, my—.

I jumped with panic when the ringer from Jackson's phone sounded, volume all the way up. I searched blindly for it and found it beside a stack of books on my shelf. The ringer was so loud I knew it could be heard from any part of the house. I glimpsed the caller ID and swore aloud when Dom was the one calling. I didn't answer and cut the noise, killing the sound and stuffed it in my back pocket,

I had to get out now.

Scurrying for the window, pounds from the hallway caught my attention, heavy footfalls nearing my room. I leapt atop of the desk and brought my feet up only to hear the most wretched sound in the world right about now.

My bedroom door opened and Julius stood in the door frame.

With terror at the front of my mind, I ducked to get out of the window and stepped on the roof, but when I made it out with one foot, a force clasped the back of my shirt and I was helplessly dragged back inside.