Chapter XII - The Slayer

Start from the beginning

Coming into my life only to take what he needed.

Eclipsing my melancholy with false hatred, I said, "I've had enough with this fanger. Just knowing he's alive and probably gloating is pissing me off." I marched back to my room and changed into my slayer gear, holding onto the burning tears as much as I could.

"Where are you going?" Julius questioned.

"To go hunt him down for the rest of the night. It'll be a battle far greater than any Hamilton may have come across. And I have a good idea where this vampire may be dwelling. I'll be back by morning, count on that with or without the vampire's ashes in my hands."

It was all I could say to contain my cry that threatened me. Coming off as offended and truly pissed off made it easy for Julius to think of my actions as fueled. Laughter was perhaps ricocheting throughout his mind in considering the ways I'd kill Dom. Little does he know, that was the last thing on my mind. I wouldn't kill him—he was my lover, and although I wanted to beat the shit out of him... I still loved him.

Hurrying from the house, I ran down the street toward where I remembered Dom's place was. I ran so fastI could hardly recall turning from my street, I couldn't remember entering city limits. My mind was so caught up with my frustrations that I was beginning to shut the world out from around me. The darkness of the streets meant nothing, not even the idea of leaving my stake behind crossed my mind. Dom was at the front of my resenting prospect... a vision I wasn't able to set down even for a second.

Coming upon the building, I stood there catching my breath and looked over the structure. I came to the conclusion that this building must've been the association Julius told me about. Given that Demiesius stores himself within the wall of this place, it was a considerable possibility; one that I now was certain I knew the answer to.

Taking my knowledge of the interior of the building, I braced myself for anything, letting the anger I forced back overcome me. After I entered, I'd either come out dead or alive... alive was my biggest hope... something I could hold onto more than my faith that Dom would find me before anything threatened me. He said my tension was detectable, and tonight, my inner-radar was the greatest it has ever been.

Surveying the area outside for a moment since I'd forgotten my other weapons, I grabbed a thick branch from a nearby tree growing in an isolated square in the sidewalk. The end was sharp enough for my liking, and before entering the building I pulled up my mask.

Shoving through the doors I caught the immediate attention of the lobby attendant. He was a faintly smaller man, about my size, but clearly more built than I. However, I had training, and had been training for years to become the second most successful slayer in the world. I could take a challenge he'd be nothing for me.

He quickly rose from his position behind the counter, knowing instantly that I was a slayer from the way I was dressed; dressed to kill. He hissed forebodingly, but his threat of fangs rattled me none. I charged just the same, dodging his lightning strikes and knocking him off his feet with a swipe of my foot against the back of his legs. He fell to his knees for a second, but before I was able to take his life, he whipped around with a flying fist. He knocked me off my feet for only a second before I was up again. He lunged forward, taking an attempt at my neck but was stopped abruptly by the brick of my boot crossing his face. With that, I accelerated off the counter top, locking my legs around his neck to bring him down. He lost balance when I compelled him to the floor, sliding off him and bringing my makeshift stake down on his chest. I closed my eyes when he disintegrated into dust.

I chucked the stake at the stairwell when I could hear someone gasp; the wood struck a second female vampire in the chest, killing her instantly. I dashed for the stairs, grabbing the stake from the pile at the foot of the steps. I remembered Dom's room was on the fifth floor, and dashed up every step, taking two at a time without breaking a sweat.