Chapter VIII - The Slayer

Start from the beginning

I did.

He rummaged through the thin shelves for something, and out he took a roll of gauze and alcohol. He submerged a wad of cotton in the liquid I knew would sting like hell. He neared me at the hospital bed and took my hand in his, looking over the blood with a sense of appetite, but composed himself and cleaned my wound. When he was done, he wrapped my forearm and set a kiss on the ceiling. "Let me take you somewhere," he said. "Away from this place. I'm sure Julius will be here to get you, but... spend time with me, Raeden."

The offer was something I couldn't turn down, but what would happen if and when Julius came to check in on me? There'd be serious questions and consequences when he finds out I left without him, but I wanted to be with Dom, there's nothing more I could want.

I played with the end of his shirt with my fingers, sending my mind into court to argue the answer out. With Jackson knowing I was in a relationship of some kind, and adding his jealousy over my title of Hamilton, there's no telling if he'd tell Julius about Dom... or that guy I was making out with... letting him touch me like I hadn't allowed anyone in my past.

I smiled to myself when remembering the way Dom's hands explored my body, his touch—his hands were so tender and calm even if he was an immortal. There's no telling how, when, or where I'd give myself over to him. The yearning was there in my head, begging me to lie submissive beneath him as he made love to me. And soon a jealousy of my own surfaced without means.

Dom was a vampire, five hundred and fifteen years old. By the looks of him, his attractiveness, his way with words, and piercing seductive eyes, I could only imagine how many people he's slept with in his long life, how many people were granted the pleasures of being his for a night. But I...

I wanted to be his forever. There was something about him I couldn't give up; I didn't ever want him to disappear from my life. I wasn't afraid to say I loved him... at least not out loud.

"Where — Where would we go?" I asked, wishing I could rewind to cut out the part where my voice squeaked with apprehension.

Dom's hands rose to my face and I closed my eyes. "Perhaps we could go to my place."

I looked up, "You mean you have somewhere to live?"

"Demiesius surely wouldn't allow his progeny to take shelter on the streets. He gave me the keys to an apartment in the city; if you're willing, maybe you and I can go together."

Rubbing my temples, I said, "Okay, but I hope you know Julius will have a huge cow when he finds out I've gone without him."

Dom took hold of my hand, holding it firmly in his, "He'll get over it."

* * *

It didn't take long to get back to Dom's place. The building was on the nice part of town, tall, five floors, and looked fairly new. It looked more like a business building then an apartment high-rise. Still, he was a vampire, so I guess things could work out a little different than normal for his kind.

He unlocked the door with his cardkey and let me walk past him, closed the door behind him and moved for where the kitchen area was. I ventured through his home, taking in how nice it was. "Demiesius must be a really popular guy to hand out stuff like this," I said, running a finger atop the glass of the table before the living room sofa. Is it still considered a living room if the person regularly occupying it is dead?

Dom rounded from his unused dining room; in his hands he held two glasses. In front of me he set one down that had a 50/50 amount of soda and vodka. He laughed at me when I sniffed the rim of the glass and pulled back because it was so strong on my nose. "Have you ever been drinking before?" he asked me.