Chapter 39

"Get away from me!" Oakheart cried as he tried to pull away from Mapleshade. The she-cat was clawing at his sides and shoving his muzzle into the dirt.

Oakheart defended himself, using his hind legs to kick at Mapleshade and free himself from her grasp. However, the dark warrior didn't give up. She only held onto him tighter.

As the pain grew to be unbearable, Oakheart squeezed his eyes shut. The agony began to fade away, and he felt the wounds on his back disappearing. When he opened his eyes, he was in the warriors' den in RiverClan camp. It was bright, and after glancing around the den, he realized it was empty.

Looking over his shoulder, the reddish tom examined his back. There were no visible injuries there, causing him to sigh with relief. That wasn't actually Mapleshade. I wasn't in the Dark Forest. It was only a nightmare. However, he was quickly distracted as another warrior entered the den.

"Oakheart!" Crookedstar whispered. He sounded as if he was barely able to keep himself from yelling.

Oakheart rolled over in his nest, asking, "Do you need something?"

Without explaining, Crookedstar instructed, "Come with me!" He began to leave the den, flicking his tail as he went.

Bounding up from his nest, Oakheart followed. Together, the two toms crossed the clearing and stopped near the nursery. Nudging Oakheart, Crookedstar said, "Go inside."

Ducking down, Oakheart entered the den in front of him. He felt the reeds brushing his back. Once he was inside, he lifted his head to see Willowbreeze. His eyes widened with excitement.

Crookedstar darted past Oakheart, resting near Willowbreeze and gently pulling a silver-gray kit towards him. "This one is Silverkit," he beamed, turning the kit to face Oakheart. Her eyes weren't open yet, but she mewed curiously.

Lifting Silverkit, Crookedstar place her with Willowbreeze. He gestured to the next kit and introduced, "This is Minnowkit." The kit remained still, quietly curling her tiny tail over her paws.

Reaching for the last kit, Crookedstar finished, "This last one is named Willowkit."

"She looks just like her mother," Oakheart remarked, earning a smile from Crookedstar. He tilted his head, asking, "When were they born?"

"Just last night," Willowbreeze answered before Crookedjaw could. "You were still asleep."

Oakheart nodded. "Congratulations!"

"You should go send out patrols," Crookedstar suggested, guiding his brother out of the den. Before Oakheart left, the tabby concluded, "You should also tell the Clan that I'll be here for a while." He backed up, returning to his new family in the nursery.

I'm the deputy now, Oakheart remembered with joy as he made his way to the boulder in the center of the clearing. When Crookedstar became leader, the reddish tom knew he would finally be the deputy of his Clan. The thought of Mapleshade still lingered with him, but she was only a foggy memory that plagued his dreams. She was no longer a part of his life, and he was relieved that she was gone.

As perfect as everything seemed, Oakheart knew the easy times would fade. Bluefur was expecting his kits in ThunderClan, and if anyone discovered their secret, neither of them could live out their dream of being leader. In only three moons, Oakheart would have to smuggle their kits into RiverClan territory and keep them safe while Bluefur faked their deaths. It was a complicated situation, and the deputy simply wished there was a way they could both be happy.

I'll find a way, Oakheart silently vowed as cats gathered around for patrols. I'll make sure she can see the kits at gatherings, I promise! He stopped himself as he reached the final word. A promise was what had shoved is life off course and changed his fate. Could it possibly help him and Bluefur find peace?