Chapter 1

Stormstar's gaze swept across the RiverClan camp. His Clanmates rested in the clearing, sharing tongues and dropping small minnows into the fresh-kill pile. Kits filtered in and out of the nursery, their parents watching them closely as they played mossball and stumbled over each other. Rippleclaw, Brightsky, and Piketooth entered the camp, returning from the patrol Oakbranch, the deputy, had sent them on.

A calm Newleaf breeze rushed through the clearing, cooling Stormstar's warm pelt. His light brown fur waved in the breeze as Oakbranch approached him. The reddish-brown deputy began, "Rippleclaw told me the patrol went well. They chased some ThunderClan warriors away from the border."

"Good," Stormstar sighed contently, still enjoying the gentle wind as it brushed through his fur. "Our territory is well-defended. We all deserve some rest." He recalled the difficult Leaf-bare the Clan had suffered through only two moons earlier. Now, the snow had melted away, and the river thawed, meaning the fish returned. With a constant source of fresh-kill, the Clan was finally able to relax.

"Stormstar!" A warrior called from below the rock the tabby sat upon. Glancing down, he saw that the cat who had spoken was his mother, Rainflower. The pale gray she-cat asked, "Are you sending out any more patrols tonight?"

The Clan leader shook his head. "No. The fresh-kill pile is well-stocked, and it's about time the Clan takes a break."

"Okay," Rainflower nodded, backing away from the rock and returning to the clearing. She sat beside her mate, Shellheart, who was Stormstar's father.

Curling his tail around his paws, Stormstar lifted his head to examine the camp. As his eyes locked with the camp entrance, Brambleberry crashed into the clearing. The spotted she-cat had bright green herbs clamped in her jaws. She immediately rushed around the resting cats, causing commotion as she passed. Whispers filled the camp as the medicine cat disappeared into her den. Tilting his head with curiosity, Stormstar stood. Is someone sick?

Crossing the clearing, Stormstar approached the medicine den. The pungent scent of fresh herbs flowed from the entrance, and a quiet whimpering could be heard inside. Flinching, Stormstar rounded the corner. As he entered, he was greeted with the sight of Oakbranch laying in the den.

Stormkit's eyes opened, and he stretched his paws, curling closer to the mother and brother he shared his nest with. That dream was awesome! The clearing was still dark, so he knew it wasn't time to wake up. However, before he could fall back asleep, he heard whimpering from beside him.

Glancing over his shoulder, Stormkit noticed that Oakkit was twitching in his sleep. The reddish-brown kit couldn't seem to keep still. As he fidgeted, Stormkit prodded him, whispering, "Wake up, Oakkit!"

Oakkit's eyes blinked open, and he instantly shot up from his nest. Stormkit tilted his head. "Are you okay?" He asked his brother, who had stopped quivering, his fur now lying flat.

Slowly settling back into the nest, Oakkit quietly explained, "I had a nightmare."

"Really?" Stormkit questioned, lifting a paw to place it on his brother's shoulder. "What was it like?"

After a momentary pause, the reddish kit started, "I was in the camp. I wasn't happy for some reason. Then, I saw you. It looked like something hurt you..." his voice trailed off.

Understanding that his brother was uncomfortable, Stormkit changed the subject. "I dreamed about being leader of RiverClan! You were my deputy. Your name was Oakbranch!"

"Oakbranch!" Oakkit cheered. "The name sounds strong. I like it!" He sneakily added, "But I'd rather be Oakstar."

Stormkit chuckled, playfully poking his brother. "Not if I become leader first!"

With that, Oakkit pounced at Stormkit, playfully shoving him over. The two rolled in the nursery, giggling to one another as they tumbled past Beetlekit, Petalkit, and Volekit. They swatted each other away and laughed.

"Come back to the nest," Rainflower gently instructed. The pale gray she-cat reached for her kits, pulling them back to her side. "We don't want to wake up Echomist. Get back to sleep." She smiled down at both of them, love shining brightly in her yellow eyes.

"Of course!" Stormkit accepted, trying to keep quiet as he settled down beside his brother. He closed his eyes. His playfight with Oakkit was over, but the tabby's dream stayed with him. One day, I'll be the greatest leader the Clans have ever seen!