00

Prologue

Rayne
Age – 17

I have always been one to follow the rules, giving no way for any slip ups along the way to define my life. I let my insecurities cloud my judgment and make me loose focus on what matters. My sanity. My feelings are unreliable that's why I numb them so they wouldn't mislead me. Haven't I been misleaded already?

My emotions are now overly sensitive which means the more emotional I feel, the less logical my thoughts have become. I have varieties of options to choose from on how to go about my life but I end up choosing the one that riles up my anxiety. The problem is I place a lot of faith on people's abilities to provide me with a blanket of security and shield me from all the problems that attack me. Over the years, I've found it difficult to trust people. Anytime I do, I get nothing but heartbreak in return. It takes a couple of time for me to get over it.

All my life, I've been a puppet on strings. I've never been my own person. My parents expects me to be perfect and follow in their footsteps. To them, I'm just a trophy to showcase to the male gaze and I'm still a teenager. I've been controlled and manipulated to the point that I can't do things on my own without the fear of being judged by others. I worry too much about what people think about me; it's something that's going to make me loose the opportunity of ever coming across self discovery as my grandma would tell me. She's right but my anxious mind wouldn't let me dwell on it.

My parents were politicians working towards the Senatorship position. My father's campaign was around the corner. As their daughter, I shouldn't behave irresponsible and cause problems so his chances of becoming a senator wouldn't be thwarted.

I barely have any friends. Most people my age are scared of associating with me because of the fear of getting on my parent's bad side. I was invisible but yet I was always bullied even with securities following me around like guard dogs. The only friends I was expected to make were the rich and famous ones from exclusive events that I'm forced to attend.

My first ever boyfriend was the son of a governor. We were introduced by our parents and at first, I liked him because he seemed loving and kindhearted but I was wrong. He was the opposite. He cheated on me multiple times and almost forced himself on me but fortunately for me, I was able to escape his clutches and ended the relationship for good. But of course, my parents weren't happy about it and never believed me when I explained to them about my reasons for breaking up with him.

In short, my life was a living hell.

For once in seventeen years of being in this world, I chose to be reckless just for the night. I wanted to let loose and get to know what it felt like to be in charge of my life even it's only for the night. I needed to breathe in the fresh air of freedom for the first time in seventeen years.

I called Megan, my only real friend in this world, and told her about my plans and of course she agreed. We drove over to a club downtown and decided to get wasted till the clock struck twelve. At this very moment, I was slightly tipsy. I hadn't allowed myself to indulge fully in the alcohol. I wanted to relish in the bliss of finally being in charge.

You might be wondering how a bunch of 17year olds got access to a night club. That's because; Megan got us fake Id's and her boyfriend was close friends with the bouncer.

Honestly, if my parents ever found out I stepped foot in a nightclub, I would be grounded for life. I feared the outcome for my reckless actions but the alcohol washed my worries away, for now.

I had never been to a nightclub before so I was kind of overwhelmed at the activities that took place. Multi-colored flashing strobe lights filled the entire place, pulsing through the sweaty bodies that were moshed up on the dance floor. Heavy smoke and debris from cigarette was stagnant in the air. The scent of pot that wafted around filled my lungs and almost suffocated me to the point tears gathered at the corner of my eyes. All this was foreign to me. The music boomed so loud, I could definitely feel a certain ringing sound in my ears. I'm gonna go deaf before I leave this place.