Chapter 20

I move away from the side, and try to block away what I just did. That small extent of trust is now shattered. Miguel won't want anything to do with me, and who can blame him. I betrayed him.

It's for his own good.

Maybe, but he won't recognize it as that.

Well, his daughter will be safe. You'll betray your group, locking them up in the brig, and then dock it by yourself. When they all escape, which should be pretty quick, they'll find Luna safe and sound, Alistar dead with my knife in his chest, and me either bleeding out or dead from an iron bullet.

It is what it is. I just hope Luna isn't scarred too badly. If there's one thing that will give a kid nightmares, and ruin their childhood it's watching someone die.

Stop dwelling on these thoughts. It's nearly time.

"You guys, is it just me or are we possibly sinking?" I call out, and I'm met with silence.

"If you think we are, go check it out. I'm busy at the helm and the other two getting the sails all ready," Amelia calls.

I walk down, and pretend to go check. I know we aren't but I have to get two of them down here. Then, I'll go back up and get Amelia.

I sprint out from my hiding spot, and shout "We're sinking quickly. Hurry and get down here," before dashing off.

As I suspected, the other two follow me quickly.

And also apparently, they put the pirates down here. The pirates who were supposed to fight back and be knocked out right now. Of course nothing is going to plan, it just has to be one of those days.

"LB, why is there no-" Zeev starts, but I shove him and Katherine into a cell before he can finish.

"She betrayed you too?" Ruben asks, and I cringe at the sneer in his voice. It's for their own good. I have to do it like this; it's the only way to keep everyone safe. This is the best way, for their own good.

"Yes, well, my team should be used to it by now and know that I'm not a team player. If I feel the risk is high enough, I pull them off, no matter how forceful I have to get," I respond, and everyone does whatever tick they have for disappointment.

"Really? So you believe that it's less dangerous for us and Luna for you to go in there alone, with the only people who can help you tied up?" Maartje challenges me, and I chuckle darkly.

"You're completely right. I don't believe that's best. I know that I'm about to walk straight into my death, and I don't care. I've already burnt my bridge: if I let you guys out now, then you wouldn't listen to anything I say or do, causing death. If I don't, and go ahead and do my plan, then at the worst only one death should happen. The death of someone who everyone can live without. I've made my bed, I made it ten years ago. Now I have to lie in it," I respond, before turning heel and ignoring their protests. It's all just lies anyway.

"Amelia, they sent me to take over. They say that they need you down there," I respond, and she doesn't question. Of course she doesn't, she has no need to. She trusts me.

She doesn't see it coming, not until I ask her for forgiveness. I can see the look of surprise as I let go of the wheel, and with a couple well placed kicks, she's crumpled to the ground.

I don't even have time to tie her up, considering we're approaching the waterfall. "Time to see what my short lesson taught me," I whisper as I steel my nerves and step up to the wheel.

Surprisingly, I don't crash the ship into the cliff side. I may scrap along the edge, but we don't start taking on water, so no harm no foul. Well, besides the fact that Alistar probably heard and knows that I'm here. And that I must have scared the living daylights out of everyone else.