𝙛𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣: 𝙘𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙤𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙨

Start from the beginning

"Because I believe everyone is worthy of kindness and support regardless of the things they do." Ava replied before she focused on her fingers, intertwining them together. She never felt comfortable with eye contact with someone new so she had to keep her hands busy to distract herself. "We all go through hardships, Poe. I've seen a lot in my life that caused pain and I know I'm not the only one in the universe who has. I tried to grow up strong and face my challenges head-on. But sometimes I just felt so, so-"

"Alone?" Poe cut in, finishing her sentence.

Ava met his eyes again but found something new she hadn't seen before.

Understanding.

"Life has a bad habit of doing that to us doesn't it?" He said, knowing all too well of the feeling. Remembering the pressure he felt from the galaxy on his shoulders during the battle of Exegol. "I learned that on my first battle as a General."

It had only just occurred to Ava that he wasn't born into the position. He had to have earned it in some way. "How did someone like you even become General?"

She hoped her retort would lighten the mood a little, but Poe barely gave a reaction. There was no glare or argument to challenge her.

Only a tiny tug at the corner of his mouth.

Poe swallowed as he looked out into the dark abyss in front of them. "By losing the one person who never gave up on me. Even when I was an idiot who didn't follow orders-"

"Sounds pretty accurate to me." Ava interrupted without knowing she did. It wasn't until Poe's glare finally made an appearance and she immediately regretted her mistake.

"I'm trying to open up for once, Blondie." He reminded her as he pointed a finger at Ava before to himself.

Ava's lips disappeared into a straight line. "Sorry, it's just hard to tell sometimes. But continue." She flocked her backhand to permit Poe to keep talking.

"Anyways, since the first day, I joined she treated me with love and kindness. Even when I did screw up, she would help me see my potential. Over the years, I had forgotten what my mother was like after she died. But the General seemed to help me remember.

"She was everything a mother could be. Compassionate in every way and teach how to view the world. Yet she was stubborn and would slap you silly if you did something stupid. But also be worried sick if something happened to you. She was everything to me." Poe finished as he space out again.

His words only made Ava think about her mother and what she was like. She was the most wonderful person in the world. The person Ava could always count on and know who would always be able to guide her. She knew that the women Poe was describing weren't too far off.

"What was her name?" Ava asked and watched as Poe spaced out one more.

"Leia." Poe said roughly. Doing his best to not cry in front of a stranger.

Ava placed a comforting hand on his knee and looked directly at him. She knew being alone wasn't easy for him.

"I'm sorry."

She almost regretted her action and began to withdraw her hand. Yet she was stopped by something warm on top of her hand. She looked to see that Poe had trapped it with his palm.

Poe sighed. "Thanks, Blondie." He continued to stare at the cave walls in front of him.

Ava smiled at his sweet response. "You're welcome." She replied.

Poe finally tore his trance from the rocks and stuck his eyes on her. Returning her expression as the corner of his mouth tugged at his lips.

"And for the record Poe, I get it. Ava said. "After Peter was kidnapped, I felt alone for years and years until I found evidence of life outside of Earth. That got me to work with one of my closest friends, Tony Stark.