001 x Reader // Bad Blood

- Story requested by Angelicangelx  💓

- Content warning: some delicate topics are treated and might make you feel sad or upset.
If you're not too sensible, you might still want to keep some tissues close while reading :)

Henry should have noticed sooner that something was wrong with you.
You've been working at the lab for a couple of years, taking care of the children.
You brought enthusiasm in a place that seemed a blank page.
Henry is used to avoid the other members of the staff, but you've always been kind and caring to him, no matter how he tried to keep you away.
You became almost friends.
Almost because there are so many secrets he can't tell you and he guesses that you have your own secrets that you don't want to tell him.
You've been keeping your smile on your face for the whole day to encourage the children to go through their daily tests and practice lessons, but in the evening you look overly exhausted.
Henry observes you silently, studying your movements.
You stumble against the cleaning cart and instinctively he jumps forward to grab you before you can fall on the floor.
"Thank you, I almost wasted all the cleaning we've just finished" you say gaining back your balance on your feet.
He doesn't let your arms go "Are you alright?".
"Yes, I'm just tired. It's been a long day" you smile to comfort him and don't even dare to push him away to free yourself.
His hands trace your arms until they touch the skin of your wrists.
"Y/N, you're feverish" he says feeling how unusually hot your skin it.
This time you snatch your arms away from his touch.
"I'm just tired really. Shall we go to dinner?" you walk passed him pulling the cart.
You are also losing weight, he realizes, and your skin is getting paler.
That lab isn't the place for you. He fears that it is affecting you and your health.
"You should get some pills for the fever" he says sternly, taking the cart from you and guiding it to the right corner.
You sigh, starting to feel annoyed for his behaviour.
He's used to be indifferent to everything, but he isn't so insensible to watch you grow sick and do nothing.
He follows you to the canteen and sees how you struggle to swallow any food.
You have no appetite.
He intervenes to persuade you to visit a nurse or a doctor, but when you do, he notices how the nurse isn't alarmed.
You thank him and bid him goodnight, retiring to your room.
Henry hopes he's just overreacting, that it's just some periodical sickness women go through.

On the next day he meets you again in the Rainbow Room and he's surprised to see you wearing your uniform and working as usual, although you still look sick.
"What are you doing?" he hisses at you as you move to prepare a test room "You shouldn't be allowed to work with children when you've got fever".
"It's nothing contagious" you say, insisting on following your duties "And surely working with the children helps me more than being in my room alone".
You move too quickly to step away from him and sway in a dangerous way.
Henry reacts taking you in his arms. You've almost fainted.
He feels your skin still feverish and also sweating cold, but looking at it he notices also bruises.
"Y/N, what happened to you?" he asks, hoping to blame it on you having fainted and fallen when he wasn't around, but he suspected it was worse than that "Who did this to you?".
You weakly try to free yourself from his grip "Nobody. Let me go. We've got work to do".
He doesn't let you go. He feels murderous instincts taking over.
He is used to want everyone in the lab dead. And only now he realizes that he would spare you. And if someone dared to hurt you, he wishes to punish the responsible and strangle him with his bare hands.
"Y/N, has Brenner punished you for something?" he asks shaking with anger.
"What? No" you say blinking like you're struggling not to pass out.
"You would tell me, right? Swear to me that you're not lying to me" he demands you.
You cross his furious stare and breathe deeply "I swear".
He lets you slowly go. You wouldn't dare to swear over a lie. You're not like the other beasts running that place.
You're different. He knows that you're not lying. Yet he is more confused and needs to understand what's wrong with you.
Brenner's voice calls you, asking you if everything's ready.
You wear your best smile, acting like everything's okay.
He walks the children in and you help them to get ready for the experiments.
Henry clenches his jaw and goes through that long, slow day, incapable of intervening to help you.
He knows that you would do anything to help if your roles were inverted.