Pt 3 - Your New Boss

- Story requested by eliza_santiago3 💕

You start to get used to your new job.
You and Henry found a balance to make things work.
Until he announces that he needs to travel to another continent for an important meeting and he begs you to accompany him.
You always dreamed of travelling, but when you got your twins, you couldn't afford to travel much anymore. And you hate to be too far from them.

Henry also insists for you to visit his apartment, until you decide to trust him a bit.
It's an expensive place as you expected, but not too ostentatious.
And some details are so accurate that you instinctively feel at home.
But that's not your home, you remind to yourself, crossing your arms tightly on your chest.
Yet, it looks as you used to dream it to be.
"Can I offer you something to drink at least?" Henry asks after you insisted for it to be a quick visit.
"I'm fine, really" you say looking around his kitchen "It's a breathtaking place. I can't believe you live here on your own".
"You can stay here until you believe it" he suggests "I don't see why others should come here. Here's my haven, where I can be myself".
You haven't seen the half of it, but you already feel the need to flee before things become hard to handle.
"Well, thank you for showing me. I really have to go. It's getting late and you know how I hate traffic".
"No chance to accompany you?".
You shoot him a warning look "Don't push your luck. You're home. Relax and take some rest. You look exhausted as I am".
He accompanies you to his door "Will you ponder my offer? I need to know within this week".
"I'll let you know as soon as I'm ready. Goodnight, boss" before you get second thoughts, you lean to kiss his cheek. Just a quick peck.
And that's enough to see him surprised and less sad.

"Don't let this become a habit" you warn as few days later he manages to persuade you to go to his apartment again.
"You still don't trust me? This place is safe for you as it is for me. So, I assume you have an answer?".
You take a deep breath "I want to give it a try. I'll come with you to Seoul, but just a quick trip, no longer than a couple of days as you promised".
His smile is so shining like suddenly the sun appeared into the room.
He cuts your distance but before doing something he can regret, he kneels in front of you and grabs your hand, kissing it.
"Thank you, Y/N. I was becoming hopeless. But this is the biggest news I could dream of. It will be fun, you'll see".
You scoff to hide your embarassment and free your hand from his worshipping lips to pull him on his feet again.
"I won't enjoy it that much if I'll get sick worried for my kids. I've never been so far from them before. My parents agreed to look after them, but I can't stop worrying".
"You can keep in touch with them. Free phone calls are included in the offer. And I need to give you your ticket".
He turns and walks to his bedroom, the place you wanted to avoid at any cost, but curiosity wins.
You cross your arms and watch him pulling out his already prepared luggages.
The room is very nice and the bed is clearly used only by a single person.
But soon you notice the framed picture on the nighttable.
"Your ticket" Henry hands you the piece of paper "And also your renewed passport".
"Great" you mumble trying to pretend you weren't watching his bed, but then you can't resist and ask that question.
"Why that picture?" you blurt nodding at his bed "I've never understood why you like it. I looked so silly".
"You looked so perfect and real" he corrects you, turning to look at that picture, where a happy younger you is laughing at the camera "It reminds me of the time when I was capable of making you laugh and I believed I could make you happy".
You try to swallow but your throat is tied.
"Well, I was happy" you murmur and walk out of the room, looking down at the papers in your hand. For a moment you already regret your choice.
But no. Past is past. You can't live in the past and forget to live your present.
"You can't run away this time. I've prepared dinner for us and now we have one more reason to celebrate" he says following you.
You turn to shot him an intrigued look "Did you learn to cook on your own?".
"I never forgot when you tried to teach me. I just felt more motivated to improve when I was on my own".
Your heart aches again at another wave of memories that tease you.
"Fine. Let's see how much you improved".