40. Y/n POV

November 29th, Day 15/30

"Kiyoomi! Kiyoomi, honey! Where are you?"

A crooked witch boomed her mildew voice through the halls like a cannon.

Omi, staring at me literally seconds ago, bore a deep frown.  I pursed my lips disappointed and contemplated hiding somewhere to avoid that woman, but I knew it was a bad idea.

"Kiyoomi, honey, where are you!?" Came again. " Look what finally came in the mail!"

With an internal sigh, I slowly slid my hands away from his back. It's funny, it felt like Omi's body almost moved with my straying arms. As they swung at my side I made space for him to leave the room first. He did. 

As slowly as possible.

30 minutes later----

Did I (regrettably) wait thirty minutes to be extra sure the coast was clear before exiting that room? Yes, I did.

I slipped through the creaky door and entered again that stray hallway. When I looked down, I could see omi's loafer shoe prints in the dust on the floor. I carefully recounted my directions and pulled out a pencil from my schoolbag for a potential jumpscare.

My heightened senses lowered when I made it to a familiar area-- the foyer. Instead of continuing on my way, I made a quick stop to admire the grand view. Though all this material money made me sick to the core, I couldn't deny it was quite beautiful to gaze at.

I could see the bone-crushing chandelier made of 400 crystals reflecting golden light in every possible direction, and the glass mural above the front door perfectly themed the cathedral atmosphere of this mansion.

I will never have this much money... I rolled my eyes. I made my way to keep walking when a holler dragged my attention to a door. It was a little ahead of me, past the stairs, and on the left wall.

Now, truthfully it is none of my business what goes on in there, but my ear was already plastered to the door before I could make the moral choice.

Ahh, yes, I can't keep my big ears shut either.

"So we can get rid of her now, Kiyoomi!" The first muffled voice said joyously. They paused for a moment when there was no response.

"Oh...no..." The same voice groaned exuberantly, " Why are you making that face at me...?"

Some more silence.

And then a little more.

At this point, I wondered if they knew I was just around the door.

"Ughh!" They whipped, " Don't tell me...!"

That sheer shriek was enough for me to realize it was Mrs. Sakusa ( and probably Kiyoomi as well) talking in this room.

"Stop, it isn't like-"

"What isn't it like?" She interrupted snappy. "Go ahead, Kiyoomi, tell me what it isn't like. Tell me what you aren't doing with her."

Adrenaline rushed through my body instantaneously, but I needed to listen more. I swear, though, if this hag disrespects me one more time I won't hesitate.

"Mother, have- have you gone mad...? What are you even talking about?" 

Suddenly, she had the sweetest voice. "Listen, we brought her for you, yes, but it just seems like she's done nothing around here but make friends with the help and distract them. Not professional at all."

"And?"

"A-And? What do you mean And? She- She's not good for you, she's not helping!" There was a loud click-clacking noise pacing around the room speedily. "Don't you see, my son, I'm helping you."

There was a quick rustle and the released tension squeak of a chair. " By kicking her out?"

"Yes of course! We don't leave garbage in the house just because it's been here for the past week!"

Yet here you are, Mrs. Sakusa.

"Mother, how could you even fathom that comparison? You do realize she's the only reason I'm still in this room, talking to you, right?"

"Ugh, nonsense."

"Common sense."

Silence.

"Just tell me why you're so attached to the damn girl, already!"

"Maybe because she is nothing like you."

Omi never yelled. Not even now was he yelling. Just very.. pressed and raised volume speech.

Mrs. Sakusa was almost screaming at the top of her lungs and, adding her loud claps and heel stomps, I would almost assume she was trying to get me to listen.

"Why are you so ungrateful?! This rehabilitation center will fix you the way she'll never be able to--why can't you understand I'm doing all of this for you!?"

"For- For me?! You truly believe you're doing this for me?"

"Of course I am! Kiyoomi, I went through so much just to get us to this point!"

"What could you have possibly done besides further destruction?"

Mrs. sakusa clapped loudly. "Not only did I pay hundreds of thousands for these doctor referrals, but I set up a one-on-one date with Lady dahlia for the Reception, which I HEARD you skipped out on to sulk in your room the whole damn day! AND I EVEN paid some stupid schoolboy to write fake articles about you two! All this...and you STILL continue to complain!"

"...You paid who?"

She paid who?

The surprise pushed me away from the door.

No, I didn't barge in at this point because the ugliest silence escaped the room and I was wafted with the blatant realization of Mrs. Sakusa.

 My heart raced with every extra second of stillness between them, and I caught my breath when the door suddenly flew open with a bash. Out stormed Omi. When I gasped he immediately found my voice and grabbed my hand. His grip was so soft despite being rushed down the stairs like a rag doll, out the front gates, and then shoved into the passenger seat of Hoshito's car.

I couldn't keep my bottom lip up as I watched Omi run back into the house, then stomp back out with one of the shirts he'd given me and his mother screaming at the doorstep.

He wasn't making any eye contact with either of us as he flew into his seat, not even bothering to put his own seatbelt on but glancing at mine to make sure it was clicked.

He quietly drove me, not a single word exchanged. Obviously, I wanted to ask him about the conversation but I figured he was far too stressed. I just kept my head forward and let him take me wherever.

40.