Ren crosses his arms and looks away.

"Sounds exciting. Where are you guys going?" Jaune asks.

"Oh, just outside the kingdom," Ruby says.

"Hey, so are we," Nora excitedly says as she bounces on her heels.

"Ren and Nora both wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village," Pyrrha says.

"We set off tomorrow," Ren says.

"Then you four can party with us tonight," Neptune says as he and Sun walk up to the group of nine. "We're shadowing a crime specialist tomorrow. We even get our own junior badges."

"So cool," Jaune says under his breath.

"Yeah, we normally go to the city with you guys," Sun says. "Which means stuff is always exploding and junk. So we're going on this mission to check out the city when it's," Sun pauses, "Ya'know, normal."

"Ow," Y/n says as he puts a hand on his chest. "Your words cut deep, blondie."

"Well," Ruby starts.

"Four minutes," Doctor Oobleck shouts from the bullhead, causing Ruby, Y/n, and Yang to wince.

"Well, um. Wish us luck," Ruby says with a thumbs-up.

The eleven students say their goodbyes, and Team RWBY and Y/n head to the bullhead.

*Timeskip*

Sometime later, Yang is having a conversation with Doctor Oobleck onboard the bullhead.

Yang shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know. I never really saw you as much of a fighter," she says over the sound of the airship's turbines.

Oobleck nods his head, "I'll admit, I fancy myself more as an intellectual than a fighter on the frontlines. But I can assure you that as a huntsman, I've had my fair share of tussles," he says.

"Like the mushrooms?" Ruby asks as she scratches her head.

Blake leans close enough to Ruby so that she can hear her over the noise. "Those are truffles," she says.

"Like the sprout?"

This time Yang leans toward Ruby. "Those are brussels," she says.

At the mention of food, Y/n's stomach starts growling. He grumbles and takes an energy bar out of his jacket pocket. He tears off the wrapper with his teeth and starts munching on it. He gags at the taste but powers through. Then, he notices the stares Team RWBY is giving him.

"What, I missed breakfast," he says before taking another bite from his energy bar. He gags at the taste again and quickly finishes the entire bar so he can spare himself the torture.

Oobleck briefly stares at Y/n before he continues with his previous train of thought. "Besides, given my expertise in the field of history. As well as my previous dabblings in archaeological surveys, Professor Ozpin saw it fit to assign me to this particular assignment."

"I'm guessing the historical part has to do with what's located in the southeast?" Y/n asks.

Doctor Oobleck looks at Y/n. "Yes, one of Vale's greatest failures," he says.

"Mountain Glenn," Ruby says.

"Yes," Doctor Oobleck says. "It was the kingdom's first serious attempt at expansion, and after it fell, it was the only attempt. After the city was overrun, it was closed off from the rest of Vale. Now it stands only as a dark remainder."

The airship shakes for a few moments before the passengers look to the side and see the ground steadily coming closer to them. Once the bullhead is close enough, the five students and huntsman jump out of the airship. The students have their weapons drawn and ready for a fight while Doctor Oobleck merely takes a drink from his thermos.