An Unwanted Marriage

Mew Suppasit was overjoyed since it was his brother's wedding. Ryan was marrying his boyfriend, Gulf Kanawut. He had been skeptical when his brother had brought him home to meet their parents. He was from one of the most influential family in the country, a man who had everything at his fingertips. Mew was worried their difference in lifestyle would make it difficult for them to make it work but no one could miss the love they had for each other. It was beautiful to watch them be so in love with each other.

His parents agreed instantly since all that mattered to them was money. As long as the boy was rich, they couldn't care less what his personality was like. Mew was happy as long as Ryan was content. He would admit he found Gulf to be very intimidating. They had hardly spoken two words to each other since they had met. His eyes looked cold and unrelenting but whenever he looked at Ryan they came to life and that was enough for Mew.

All the preparation for the wedding had been arranged by Gulf. He didn't let them pay for even a single thing. Gulf's parents had been against the marriage as they wanted him marry someone of their own social standing but he refused to give in so they had to relent since he was their only child. Only close friends had been invited and media was kept out of the venue.

Mew went to see if his brother was ready only to find the room empty. He felt dread settling in as he checked the bathroom and other rooms. He quickly went to ask his parents but they didn't know either. All the calls and messages went unanswered as they frantically searched for the groom. Eventually they had to alert the Gulf and his family resulting in a big uproar.

"I told you to not marry that boy." Gulf's mother, Frida exclaimed.

"He has disgraced us in front of our relatives." Gulf's father, Steve said in anger.

"Where is he? Did you guys plan it together? How could he run away like this? He was definitely cheating on my son." Frida said in distress.

"We d-don't know. We tried calling him but his phone is switched off." Mew said.

Gulf was standing there without uttering a single word. His phone rang suddenly and he checked the caller id and was startled to see Ryan name flashing on the screen. He picked up the call, "Where are you, Ryan?"

Everyone went silent at the mention of the groom and looked at Gulf in anticipation. Gulf frowned as he listened to his fiance and after a while call was cut. He didn't offer any explanation as he went out of the room making everyone run after him.

"Gulf, what happened? What did he say?" Ryan's mother, Anna Suppasit asked.

"Son, tell us." Frida asked.

"He's cancelling the wedding. He doesn't want to marry me anymore." Gulf replied monotonously.

"How dare he? Is marriage a joke to him? Is this how you people raised him?" Frida turned angrily to Men's parents.

"Don't talk like that about my brother. He must have a reason." Mew defended Ryan.

Frida sat down on the chair, "What will we do now?"

Anna said, "We will have to cancel the wedding."

"Easy for you to say since it's not your money going down the drain."

"What else can we do anyway?"

"Did Ryan say where he was? Is he okay?Did something happen to him?" Mew asked.

Gulf contemplated something for a moment and then turned towards Mew and said, "He'll marry me."

Everyone gasped in surprise. They hadn't seen that coming. A runaway groom was one thing but marrying his brother was definitely icing on the top. Everyone was more agitated at Gulf's demand especially Mew.

"What are you talking about son?"

Mew looked at him in disbelief, "Why would I marry you?"

"Because your brother ran away."

"So? What's that got to do with me?"

"I won't go out without my husband today. I won't let anyone insult me like that. Ryan loves you a lot, doesn't he? Let's see how he feels when he will know that his little brother is mine now." Gulf retorted.

"But how can Mew marry you?" Anna said frantically.

Gulf turned towards them, "Then you'll pay for all the wedding expenses. Can you?"

"We can't. We already talked about that."

"Then let me have him."

"Take him." Mew's father, Kevin said.

"Dad-"

Anna cut him off in the middle, "Don't argue. We can't pay for the expenses. Just bear with it, Mew. Do it for your family."

"You people can't do this to me. It's my life. You don't get to decide who I'll marry. I refuse to marry him." Mew yelled.

"Mew, stop being a brat. Just do as we say or consider us as dead." Anna said.

"Mom please. How can I marry him? I hardly know him-"

"It's not like Gulf is a stranger. You know him well enough."

"But that's different-"

"Mew, just do as you're told. This is final."

Mew could only describe the feeling as resignation. He couldn't believe his parents hadn't thought twice before practically selling him off to Gulf Kanawut. He was given no choice in the matter. He wanted to run away too but he couldn't leave his parents to deal with the consequences. Though they were cold to him he still loved them.

How could Ryan leave them in this mess? If he didn't want to marry Gulf, he should have at least told Mew. They could have figured out something. He was forced to recite the vows and kiss his husband as they were declared married in front of the crowd. He couldn't bear to look at his parents who were smiling gleefully as they practically forced their son into unwanted marriage. He couldn't believe they were his own parents.
As soon as the reception was over, Gulf dragged him to the car and they left for their home. The entire car ride was filled with silence. Mew wanted to cry but refrained himself. He refused to show weakness in front of this cruel man. He didn't know what his future was going to be like but it certainly wouldn't be peaceful anymore.