23

𝔸𝕃𝔼𝕏𝔸ℕ𝔻ℝ𝕆

"I just have to brush my teeth really quickly and we can go." Raine said, walking into the the restroom. Today we were finally going to get this gown for the Charity event, and Raine seemed to be super excited about it. I want him to be happy, and not overthink how this is going to go. I just want him to feel beautiful.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, irking my nerves. I don't want to be dealing with this shit right now, I just want to relax. "What is is now?" I growled as I answered the phone, knowing it was Benjamin on the other line.

"Sorry to bother you Mr Valenti, but it's in regard to Mr. Jaxon, but you need to hear this." He said, and by his tone I could tell that he was serious.

"What the hell happened?" I asked, keeping my voice low.

"Mr Jaxon. He was shot." The words made his heart drop to the pit of his stomach and his mouth dry out.    For violence to begin over this, this case is turning into a whole different monster. It's no longer about them being mistreated by the hospital, this is evolving into something much, much worse.

"Shot? Is he alive?" I asked, sitting down on the bed to prepare myself for a possible blow.

"Yes, he's in the hospital currently, I was actually on my way to go visit to get as much information as possible." He said. Oh thank god, he's alive. The last thing this family needs is a loss, it would be break them.  It would've made winning the case a lot harder too. Shit, I'm going to have to go over there too, but not now.

"Do we know who did this?" I asked.

"No, all I know is that he was shot. He was the one who gave me a call and let me know though, and he sounded to be of stable mind." He said, the sound of a car horn blaring in the background.

"Good. Figure out what you can before the police show up, if they do show up. I have a prior engagement, so I'm trusting this to you Benjamin. Try to get as much out of him as you can, we need to figure out who did this. I will visit him later on tonight. Send me the address to the hospital." I said, sighing deeply.

"Of course, I'll keep you updated." He said, then the line went dead. Fuck.

I should've expected something like this. The publicity this case is bringing, is not all good. We do want this to get out there to the public, to show everyone how this establishment took advantage and disrespected these people. But this is getting to the wrong people, the violent racists, they're obviously taking matters into their own hands.

We're going to have to station police outside their home, or put them in some sort of witness protection program, or something to guarantee that nothing like this happens again. It can't happen again.

"I'm ready!" Raine said smiling, dragging me out of my deep thought. I quickly fixed my expression, not wanting him to notice I was upset. Now is not the time to tell him about this, I just want him to enjoy the day, this is about him. And knowing him, he would become anxious about the whole situation. It's better to stay silent for now.

"Is everything all right?" He asked. I walked over to him, kissing him sweetly.

"Yes, everything is fine. Let's go find your dress." I said, making sure to give him a winning smile. He nodded, leading the way out of the room. I sighed quietly, forcing all of the negative thoughts to the back of my mind.