Chapter 35: Secrets Revealed

I wasn’t really paying any attention to the scenery as I looked out the car window. I mean it was there, but I couldn’t tell you what road I was on or what buildings I’d passed.

There wasn’t enough room in my brain to try and focus on anything other then the situation that just happened.

What did you expect Danny? You knew all a long that Nick was a killer, I told myself.

I didn’t know why it came as such a shock that Nick killed Carson. Maybe it was just hearing that he was actually dead somewhere that brought tears to my eyes. I guess I just thought there was hope for him to still be alive.

“Danny, what’s wrong?” Asked Reggie worriedly not taking his eyes off the road. He is one of those drivers who drives extremely slow and follows every rule in the driving handbook.

“Nothing. You’ve asked me that a million times.” I said rudely, clamping my hands together to stop them from shaking.

I instantly felt guilty for yelling at him. After all he was giving me a ride home.

“Look, I’m sorry, Reggie. I didn’t mean to sound mean. I’m just… I’m still…” I found tears were coming to my eyes again and I couldn’t talk without all my words meshing together. “It’s Carson. I can’t get him off my mind.” I paused feeling as though I were swallowing a rock. “He’s haunting me, Reggie.”

We came to a stoplight and Reggie turned on his blinker. “He was my friend too, Danny.”

I looked from the window to him. His curly hair was bright orange beside the tan leather seat. His body scrawny under his sweater and jeans. Skin paler then the white sky revealing all his freckles along his nose and cheeks.

“You know I would feel the same way about you if you went missing.” I said not daring to look away.

It was true. If any of my friends were taken from me I would be as equally depressed. Reggie could never defend himself from anything especially a lycan.

“Danny, remember when you said that you thought that new kid was responsible for Carson going missing?” He asked turning onto another street.

I blinked a few times in knowing that he would recall something like that. “Yeah. Why?”

“Well, it’s just you never told us what happened at that dinner.”

I knew that after I began to get stalked and children started to go missing it wasn’t safe for them to know anything. A stalker would do anything to get close to you. To threaten you.

As I looked at Reggie I wandered if it was fair that he and Alex didn’t know what has been going on while Wendy did.

But then I realized that it’s only gotten Wendy in trouble and it’s all my fault. I shouldn’t have spilled anything to her. I should have made up some lame lie like I did for everything else.

It was going to be hard to get around Reggie. He was bound to graduate as valedictorian next year.

I decided to play dumb.

“I didn’t?”

“No, you didn’t.”

“Oh, well, I didn’t tell you guys anything, because there wasn’t anything to say. They aren’t targets. Just weird people.”

“Weird people.” He repeated half-chuckling.

“What?” I said finding it hard to smile tucking one of my legs under the other.

“Its just Wendy said something about you.”

“She did? Like what?” I questioned anxiously wishing it wasn’t anything about my stalker.