Chapter 4: Birthday Surprise

Chapter 4

“Danny . . .Danny. Wake up.”

That doesn’t sound like my alarm clock. I opened eyes to see Rita holding a tray full of food.

“Whoa. What’s this for?” I sat up.

“Your birthday, silly. Happy birthday!” She set it on my lap.

I took a bite. “Mmm . . . blueberry pancakes, they’re my favorite.”

“Of course. “

“You want some.” I said, with a mouth full. Did she even know what I said?

“Oh, no thank you, dear.”

“My complements to the chef.” It was like I’d never seen food before.

Rita laughed, handing me a small box, wrapped in pink wrapping paper with a purple bow. “Oh, Rita, you didn’t have too.”

I gave her a hug. “Of course I did. Now open it, I’ve been waiting all day.”

“All day? It’s eight o’clock in the morning.”

“Oh just open it.”

I took off the bow and tore at the paper and opened the box. Lay inside was a silver, heart locket with a long chain. I tried opening it, when Rita said, “Oh there’s nothing inside, at least, not yet,” She frowned, “It doesn’t come with a key.”

No key? To a locket?

“Oh, thank you, Rita. It’s beautiful.” I put it around my neck.

“Knock, knock, can I come in?” Asked mom. She wasn’t in a pantsuit, but a lazy pair of sweat pants and a raggedy, old t-shirt. I also noticed she had on her glasses on instead of her contacts. Her hair was not curled, but put into a tight ponytail.

“Sure.” I said.

“How was your breakfast?”

“ Delicious, as always.”

“Good.”

“Well, this diet is not working, because I’m starving and Niles has extra blueberry pancakes. See you guys later.” Rita walked downstairs carrying my tray.

“Mom, you’re not dressed up today.”

She sat down next to me. “That is, because, I thought we’d have a girls day out today. Just you and me.”

“Really? Just us?” I hugged her. “Thank you, mom.”

“It would be my pleasure, after all, we have to celebrate your seventeenth birthday.”

I think it was that moment that I realized I was seventeen. Not eight, not ten, not twelve. Seventeen. I think I should have some freedom by now.

“Mom, please don’t be mad.”

“Why would I be mad, sweetheart?”

“Well, after all, I am seventeen, I want to make my own decisions.”

“Okay, what decisions have you made?”

Oh boy, here it goes. “Mom, I don’t want to play violin anymore.”

“Oh, Danny, you could have quit years ago, I just thought you liked playing the violin, I mean you had Mrs. Ann eat with us, it was hard to tell if you hated it.”

I let out a sigh of relief. I cannot believe it.

“Here I’ll call her now.” She got up to go.