Chapter 31: Chasing Danny

Spanish 2- A

Calculus- A

English 3 Honors- D

AP Biology- A

Girl’s P.E. – A

Study Hall- A

I studied my second quarter report card, still trying to question why I took it upon myself to skip newspaper club.

I felt like an utter disappointment when Miss Little handed it to me. I could still see her unwavering straight face after she had given me numerous times to raise the D.

This surprise, however, was nothing compared to my mom’s reaction when I gave it to her.

“Danielle Marie Porter, I knew I shouldn’t have canceled your tutoring lessons. This is your first D. Maybe next time you’ll study a bit harder.” Her speech ended too quickly.

“Am I . . . grounded?” I asked following behind her down the hall coming into the large living room where workers in white uniforms were decorating our real Spruce tree my mom ordered form Norway. It’s radiant green leaves filled the house with a strong pine scent.

I ducked under a tall ladder two men carried out the front door, finally catching up to her as she stopped to light some cinnamon smelling candles and straighten a few Christmas knickknacks.

“I can’t imagine why.”

“You can’t?” I said moving out of the way for other workers to pass by.

“You’re stressed, sweetheart. Everybody experiences it in one lifetime or another. It’s how you deal with it that really counts.” She turned on her heel to look at me. “You need to acknowledge your principles death, talk about the good times and move on.”

I looked down at the folded report card in my hand.

“You’re my only daughter, Danny. My only child. You mean everything to me.” Her brown eyes looked serious as if she was mentally shaking me by the shoulders. “I have to say I wasn’t pleased with hearing that this psycho broke into your school and killed someone. I’m worried about your safety. Promise me, if you’re questioning whether somebody is harmless or not, that you don’t have to question them. That you will never second guess anyone, understand?”

I tried to nod, but my neck stayed stationary where it was as I gave her a blank stare.

“I’m not saying don’t have any fun, after all, you’re on winter break. Just be cautious, because when your not having panic attacks, I’m not having panic attacks and things can run a lot smoother around here.” She smiled as she went back to adjusting throw pillows and lighting more candles.

I walked up the stairs and stopped when I got to the top.

From up here it looked like a Macys on Black Friday with all the hired strangers in white clothing on ladders hanging different colored ornaments and others wrapping white lights around fake plants around the house.

Outside was a whole other crew lighting a reindeer replica and tying red Christmas lights to the giant palm trees.

I watched as a woman set a large doll-faced angel at the crest of the tree whose wings made the whole tree glow.

She grinned at her work and retreated down the ladder.

I opened the door to my dark room and searched the wall for the light switch, finding it wouldn’t turn on.

I felt a cold draft as I made my way the direction of my dresser, picturing the lamp sitting on it in my mind.

I held my hands out at arms length trying not to run into anything when smooth wood touched my fingertips. I patted my hand around the dresser moving my fingers up the lamp for the on button at the top.